New Highend 4-String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joiner, Jan 15, 2001.

1. Joiner

Oct 12, 2000

I´m looking for a new highend 4-String. Look at my equipment, I have very high-end 5- and 6-Strings, and one good 4-String (the ESH Stinger), but I want something new.

What would you choose? Options are Sadowsky Vintage 4, Sadowsky PJ4, Spector US Neckthru 4, Mike Lull Modern 4V.
    Or would you suggest something else ? I´ve tried the models standing above and love them all.

Suggestions welcome !

2. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Hi Joiner, ich hab gelesen, dass du aus Bonn kommst.
    Ich geb dir nen Tipp fuer nen absoluten Highend-Bass.

Soviel kurz vorweg: Jedes Modell ist ein Einzelstueck, gefertigt wird nur auf Anfrage und beim Meister selber. Es gibt die Dinger nicht im Laden zu kaufen, nur Direktvertrieb.

Ich habe einen solchen, bin auf die via Gitarre&Bass gestossen. Zitat G&B (auszugsweise) "die absolut perfekte Verarbeitung ... Hallelujah, was fuer ein Traumbass ... nur ganz selten bekommt man solch ausgewogene Mischung aus perfektem Klang, endlosem Sustain, tadellose Verarbeitung ... trotz seinem Highend-Klangs bringt er genau jenes Pfund Bass rueber, die die Band fuer eine treibende Performance braucht ... ". Das ist kein Witz und auch nicht uebertrieben, ich war selber von keinem Bass den ich je gespielt habe so ueberzeugt.

Es handelt sich um einen LeFay (
    Das Modell ist der Midas (ist auf der Homepage nur im Flashintro zu sehen).
    Der Meister heisst Reiner Dobbratz und ist supernett.
    Er schickt dir auf Wunsch zuerst mal ein Testmodell zum Ausprobieren fuer eine Woche zu!

Du kannst alles so umaendern lassen, wie du willst.

Ich weiss nicht, ob dir das Teil gefaellt, wenn du auch ne international rennommierte Marke auf der Kopfplatte stehen sehen willst, such dir nen anderen Bass, aber, ich muss es nochmal sagen: Es ist der Traum fuer tiefe Toene.

Auf der Homepage findest du alle weitern Einzelheiten.
    Ich habe mir den 4saiter Midas, aktiv, mit XLR-Buchse und stark assymetrisch geformten Hals bauen lassen (4800 DM).
    Dadurch, dass die Haendlermarge wegfaellt (ca. 2000 DM) gibt s in dem Preissegment keine Alternative. ;)

P.S: Natuerlich gehoert ein LeFay Besitzer zu einem ganz exklusiven Kreis, da es sich um einen absoluten Insidertipp handelt. (Soviel ich weiss hat der Bassist von Simple Minds noch einen LeFay Pangton 5er)
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Just based on recommendations of others, I'd go Sadowsky if you can afford it. The man seems to be able to do no wrong. The P/J4 would give you the most versatile bass, I think.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Ich habe keine ahnung warum 5156246 hat seine antwort in deutsch geshreiben. mein deutsh is nich so gut als ihnen, aber ich will auch versuchen. (spass muss man auch doch haben, ja? ;)) (oops, jetz weiss ich schon).

Jedenfalls, Ich glaube du sollst auch denken auf Zon instrumente. Ich habe ein Sonus 4, mit graphite griffbrett und bartolini pickups und ich glaube es ist sehr gut. 'ne andere sache das ich mag ist das der bass ist nicht zu scwer. Wenn ich volte, ich kann spielen beinah drei stunde ohne mude zu bekommen.

Vergiss auch nicht zu herumschauen fur ein Marleaux bass, die solten sehr gut sein.

Will C.:cool:
  5. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    At the price level you are, it may make sense to look at some awesome custom-built instruments. If I had the $$$, this is the first place I would be looking at:
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My vote goes towards Spector. I have the NS-4 and can promise that you'll be hard pressed to find a better instrument! It's versatile, very comfortable to play (even has a belly-contour), and very focused sounding. If you need more than just my comments, read Bass Player's review of the 5-string version (NS-5) from a few years ago.
  7. G

Apr 12, 2000
    These basses do different things. I read you profile and saw that you have a Spector 6! That is awesome, a magnificient bass, but do you need/want another Spector? I guess that I second RAM on this one... Spectors are the way to go if you want a high end bass...
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    After reading your profile (man, how could you afford all those basses within one year? :confused: ), I would recommend buying a decent amp instead for a new bass (seems to me you got basses to cover your needs but only a puny Warwick Take 12).
    You can get one heck of a system for the cost of a new Sadowsky (like, Glockenklang or whatever).

Or you can save for that Alessandro head with solid pure gold chassis... ;)

Oh, I envy you...! :(
  9. My suggestion is the Spector NS4 (w/ EMG humbucker pickups and 18 volt preamp). I also suggest getting the optional piezo pickup!!!
  10. I agree: after looking at your profile get quality bass amplification so can really appreciate the character and nuances of the wonderful instruments you own.
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Mr Dead: Do you have the piezo in your Spector? I can't haven't filled in your profile...

What's your take on the piezo on the Spector? I haven't played one...
  12. No, I didn't get that option and now I'm kicking myself for it. A buddy of mine has the optional piezo in his NS4. With that option, you can get more variety of tones by mixing the EMG's and the piezo, or get the "upright" tone by running the piezo "solo". If you're interested, you should demo an NS4 (or 5 or 6) with the piezo option included.
  13. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    When I bought my bass, I had it shipped back to Stuart so he could install one himself on my bass. I even paid for it! But, he was out of stock, and after 3 months of having no bass, I asked him to send it back and asked the store for a full refund. I still wish I had the patience back then, let me tell you! But, without it, my NS-4 is no slouch. I'm sure you can agree;)
  14. Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    I only use the Take 12 up here in my room´. In the place where I rehearse with my band, I have a Ampeg SVT3 Pro and a Ampeg BSE Cabinet, and after testing, I found out, that the the Ampeg only sounds better at much higher volumes. But I can`t turn it really loud because my family (or - my wife) won`t allow it ;).

I know you want to know where I got my money from. I first started playing guitar some time ago and had two very good guitars (a 1962 Les Paul Custom and a Custom Shop EXP by ESP) and sold them. Also, I´m earning a lot of money because I´m working for a big computer firm and doing a big main job....

Of course, I love my Spector. It is set up as follows:

- Quilted Maple TOP (AAAA Grade, Black Stain Finish)
    - EMG CS Pickups and Spector Piezo Bridge
    - Spector Control Circuits

I love the Spector sound. But I love my ESH`s and the Sadowsky a bit more because I love that fender jazz look and the Maple Board. Also, I think the Sadowsky and the ESH both have a "tighter" Low B.

15. RAM, I definitely agree!!!
    As far as Joiner's comment that the Esh and Sadowsky have tighter B's than the Spector, I cannot comment on the Sadowsky because I haven't had the opportunity to play one but I found the Spector to have a tighter B than the Esh basses that I reviewed (Sovereign and Stinger 5's) for a local musician's mag. Don't get me wrong, they sounded very good, but the B sagged just a tad more. Perhaps they're not all the same (same for Spector's) because when they're built on at a time the variables can change!!!
  16. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I'd recommend a Status-4 string...I have an entry level (relatively) model, and I like it a lot. Superbly constructed, nice feel and tight tone.
    But when you don't like graphite...
  17. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's really interesting...I was reading your comments in the Spector thread and you mentioned that a friend of yours has the Euro Spector and it has a tighter "B" than the American, but that it may be a fluke?

Another thing that I recall is Bass Player's review of the 5-string, saying it was one of the tightest "B" strings they'd ever heard...and that was when it was still a 34" scale!:oops:

See...I wish I could get into the low "B", but at this stage it's completely a nonfactor. The only thing that I insist on is dropped "D", but that's about it. I have the hipshot on my Spector.

I am now beginning to think along the lines of another bass as well, but don't know what I'll end up with. I doubt it'll be another Spector, though my Spector will probably always be my favorite, and my number 1 bass!!! It took me 5 years to buy my Spector...I wonder how long it'll take me to buy my next bass;)
  18. RAM,
    My 4 sting is US and my 5's are Euro. I did compare my B- strings to a buddies US made 5 string and my Euro's B-string was noticably tighter. Something important to factor in is the fact that his bass was one of Stu's early 5 strings and since then he's perfected 5 strings.
    When I reviewed the Esh basses, I used one of my Euro 5's for comparison and found my Spector's B-string a bit tighter. I didn't have a US 5 available during the review.
  19. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What magazine do you work for?

You're based in the midwest? I'm in Chicago...