Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Hobby

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Warwickthumb, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Well I think I'm going to give it a go. I built A fender J Bass with some of your guys' tips. It worked out perfectly, everyone thinks its a Fender. It has the sound and everything. Really the only thing Fender is the neck. The rest is spare parts and some body i bought off ebay. SOme day I will tackle that, but for now im working on bodies. I have my own house so its my rules!!! So my garage will become my workplace. Though i dont know about winter. I have a friend who worked for Washburn when they were in Chicago. So I have him for help. I have a table saw, roto zip with tons of diffrent bits for it. Many clamps of all sizes, joint thing that i got from my grandpa a while back(dont know if there is a use for this) Jigsaw. I need to a router. SHould I get a plunge? I also bought one of the books recomended so I get an idea of what I'm goign to face. I come from a long line of machinest and woodworkers. In fact i am a machinest as well. So IM hoping things ive learned about measuring, blueprint reading etc will help. Anything im forgetting?

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Welcome to the fold. Just be prepared to say goodbye to your disposable income. This hobby has a habit of sucking it up for some reason.

Personally I don't use the plunge feature of my router much. That's mostly because the locking mechanism was shakey at best, so I turned it into a tightening screw. Now you need to use a screwdriver to lock it in place, but it holds nice and tight. Basically it's turned into an adjustable fixed base router. Of course, techniques and styles vary, so you might like the plunge. I love using my router in a table, so that's where it spends most of it's time.

I've also found that you can't discount any tool. If you're creative, there will be a use for it somewhere down the line. That being said, if you're creative enough there aren't any tools that are absolutely necessary, they just tend to make life easier sometimes.

-Nate