1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Hollow Body Day! Gretsch 6072

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by carlos840, Oct 14, 2010.

1. So, here is my last baby, a pretty much new Gretsch 6072!
    Its massive in every possible way! Neck is so long (34"), but feels really nice, body is huge, tone is just sow thick and fat!
    It sounds a bit like a supa beatle bass!
    I never had a hollow body before and i am really glad i bought this one...
    Only think i dont like is the way the bass balance! its very neck heavy and when played standing up the F is just VERY far away!

Apart from that its brilliant, controls take a bit of time getting used to,
    one vol per pickup, one master volume. one pickup selector, on tone switch ( deep, thin and standard) and one kill switch!

Condition is 9.5/10, all she has is worn out gold plating on the pickup and tuners which is pretty usual...

I did overpay a lot for it, but they are really really rare in the UK and new ones (this model is discontinued) sell for stupid money!
    For example the white falcon that sells for 2845$ in the US sells for 2845£ here, which is 4500$!!!!
    Apparently this one was the LAST one ever produced before they where discontinued!
    ( its dated 06 and came from the Gretsch showroom in the UK where it was an exposition model when the Falcon was released!)

Here are a few picks of the beast and of here flatmates!

Enjoy

DSCN1462.jpg
    DSCN1463.jpg
    DSCN1464.jpg
    DSCN1465.jpg
    DSCN1452.jpg

2. carlo3874

carlo3874

Jan 25, 2007
    San Diego CA
    WOW! That is one beautiful bass. You have a nice arsenal of basses to choose from. Enjoy! How about you swap a couple of your basses for Tim Howard to play for the England national team....

3. trowaclown

trowaclown

Feb 26, 2008
    Could you please tell me what the round leathery thing at the back does? The first thing that came to my mind was that it's some...resonator...but it doesn't look like it resonates.

4. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Prevents buckle rash.

What year is that puppy?

5. Indeed buckle rash!
    Its from 06 as stated in the post...

6. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I have one myself. It sounds HUGE and always causes a lot of attention when I bring it out to play. It's a keeper!!!

HollowbodyBasses011.jpg

7. man...i want gretsch so bad...beautiful instruments

8. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I want one, too. (If I got one, the trio would have an all-Gretsch lineup. :D)

Way to score, OP!

9. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Ah, my eyes went straight to the eye candy at that point.

10. Thwack

Thwack Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Seattle
    Yummy!
    BTW- What make is the Jazz w/ humbuckers?

11. Its a part bass, fender neck and hardware, darkstar pickups (single coil) and warmoth body.

12. I saw this pic a million times! In all my search you where probably the only one who had one on TB, i bought it because of your reviews mostly!

I do have a question for you!

Is your bridge pickup also really close to the strings and a bit louder than the neck pickup!
    Im used to setting up my pickups to equal volume but its impossible on this one. Dont know if its normal or if i should take it out and either shim the neck one or take of a shim from the bridge pickup.

I did notice that if you use the volumes to match the output of both pickup you cant hear the difference between both and neck when using the selector, which kinda makes me believe that its normal to have more output from the bridge pickup so that its heard when using both and if soloed your ment to use the master volume to bring the level down!
    Could be wrong though...

13. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    Wow, that is gorgeous. Looks like it's in good company as well.

14. well, i took of the shims from the bridge pickup and its a lot more even!
    Dont know why they put them there in the first place!
    And who the hell uses wooden shims to raise pickups! Whats wrong with springs or foam!

15. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I love that bass! 'Tis a manly beast, not for the faint of heart. Let me know if you need a case for it. I somehow seem to have a superfluous Gretsch case. You know how that happens.

16. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Oh brother. That makes me sick just reading it.... my condolences.

17. Has anybody with one of those tried putting some TVJones pickups in it? I would be interested to know if it made a big difference!

Well, i just spoke to TV Jones and basically the only difference are the adjustable pole pieces...
    The only reason he could find to justify buying his pickups is "they are made in the US of A" which is really not a good enough reason if you ask me!
    Appart from that and the pole pieces, they use the same wire, are wound to the same resistance and use the same alnico magnets...

I would love somebody who tried them to let me know what they thought!

18. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Sweet bass, Carlos! I recently picked up an '05 MIJ Broadkaster bass. Really nice, but I'm not wild about the short (30.3") scale. So I'd probably love that 34" scale.

19. 7615

7615 Guest

Nov 19, 2015
    I have a 1968 6070 single pick up. I removed the frets and installed a 1978 Gretsch Committee Bass pickup by the neck.

It is my main electric along with my Committe with a Carvin pick up.

The Country Gentleman is an awesome fretless and much better than when it had frets.

20. 7615

7615 Guest

Nov 19, 2015
    The 6072 was discontinued in 1971 when it was replaced by the 7615. The bass Carlos has must have been a one off in 06.