Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New HOLLOW BODY Spector NS2000 5 String Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfab333, Aug 18, 2002.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Anyone try one of these out yet? They just came out, but I'm hoping that someone tried one out at NAMM and can tell us about it.

It actually looks like an NS2000, but has a large F-hole on the upper part of the body and has only one soapbar pickup. It's supposed to be a semi-hollow body bass. It looks like it might have a nice resonant tone. The picture of this bass at the Spector site is 4 string, but they also make a 5.

I'm particularly interested in hearing about this bass's tone and B string (focused & punchy vs floppy & muddy).

Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

2. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    one too many string, a few too many quilts, an ugly color, and an ugly design. the f-hole kills it.

3. I played a 4-string version at the local Mars Music. To me, the semi-hollow/f-hole thing seems like mostly a gimmick on this particular bass, since it had no more acoustic volume or resonance than the NS4CRFM sitting next to it. The bass didn't intrest me enough to track down a salesdrone to plug it in, so I can't really tell you how the piezo pickup sounded.

Mike

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So, you want it in a three string?

5. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    grrr...the subject said 5 string, and i just skimmed the pic cos ive seen it before. its ugly.

6. Who cares if it's ugly, as long as it sounds good, right?

and anyways...what's so wrong with a 5-er. I don't like them myself, but some people do, so let them, there's no such thing as too many strings or too few at that.