New home made bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Bruulsema, Mar 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tim Bruulsema

Tim Bruulsema

Mar 4, 2017
    Ive been working on this project for a while now. This will be my second bass, with my first one being an Ibanez sr300. This is also the first 5 string I have ever played.

I built this completely from scratch in my high school wood shop class. It took about 5 months.

for the wood, I used walnut for the middle of the neck, ash for the outside sections of the neck, and tigerwood in between. The body is ash with a tigerwood middle and a wenge top. the headstock has a wenge top on it, and the fingerboard is rosewood.

The pickups are EMG twx.

I haven' t made a truss rod cover yet, but I am thinking of using flame maple or some sort of burl.

The tuning peg for the d string is too far from the edge of the headstock, so it interferes with the other ones. Thats why there all aligned the same way.

what do you think of it?

IMG_20170304_164459823.jpg IMG_20170304_164516172.jpg IMG_20170304_164542673.jpg

IMG_20170304_164630602.jpg

2. Glad to see they still offer wood-shop somewhere. And to do this in school?!?!?!?! Great job!

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Wow, drool, that's one heck of a wood shop project! I made a lopsided bowl and a cutting board, if I recall correctly. :( Nice job!

Pdaddy1978, BBQisgood, Lo-E and 3 others like this.
  4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Nice job! Could you wind the D and G posts in reverse? It would look better. Like the wood choices, congrats.

5. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Liberty Township
    You just earned an A++ in shop class. Beautiful!!

6. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Very nice!

7. Fantastic. I'm actually blown away by this on so many levels. Mainly because you got the courage and confidence to attempt it in the first place.

You're getting a massive round of applause from this fella in Scotland.

Marc61, andruca, BBQisgood and 2 others like this.
  8. iamprowla

iamprowla

Nov 28, 2016
    UK
    That is pretty impressive.

BBQisgood likes this.
  9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    High school? Very impressive.

The only thing I made in high school was a bong in ceramics class.

10. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Other than the machine head positioning, that's a great looking job done.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  11. Nice job!

BBQisgood likes this.
  12. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I'll give you a B, a low B for that work. :p

No seriously impressive, you clearly got skills. :thumbsup:

Beautiful bass, minor thing with the tuning mechanisms, the rest of the bass seems perfect.

Congratulations.

How does it play?

13. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    That came out amazing!

I am blown away!

14. Christopher DBG

Christopher DBG Commercial User

May 18, 2015
    Westerly, RI
    Luthier/Owner, Christopher Bass Guitar
    Nice job!

15. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Very nice!

16. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    That's really cool that you gave it its own look!

And welcome to TB.

17. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    Really, really great job! I would be ecstatic if I could get an outcome like that for a bass I made! I am sure you learned a lot about making a bass and hope you will continue to explore making more.

You obviously did your homework and used thru-neck construction. I love that.

What was your thought process about your wood selection? Were you more concerned with the look or the tone?

12BitSlab likes this.
  18. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Well done, sir! :thumbsup:

I'm wondering if that would work with the addition of a Fender Stealth String Retainer on one or both of them (assuming they'd fit in the first place) to angle the strings away a bit from the tuning posts and each other.

Stealth Bass String Retainer | Fender

19. Tim Bruulsema

Tim Bruulsema

Mar 4, 2017
    Thanks for all the positive comments!

good idea. I might try that.

So far it plays pretty well, aside from a bit of buzzing thats slowly going away with minor adjustments.

ya, I did a lot of research before deciding to go with a neck thru. I didnt want to mess around with neck angles because that sounded really tedious, and the neck thru just looks so cool.

for the wood, I first thought of a bunch of options that fit what I like. I didn't mind it being heavy(it turned out very heavy) and I really liked wenge as a top. Then when I went the the lumber store, I combined some of my options based on the price of the different woods. The tigerwood I actually got for free because my dads work building used it as a accent, and they had some left overs. Not the nicest wood to work with, it gives you massive splinters.

LowNloud1 and 12BitSlab like this.
  20. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Wow! Just Wow!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021