Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new Hotwire fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I pulled the trigger around January and it showed up here on Friday. It's a 4 string double bass model: alder body, amazing birdseye neck w/ ebony board (I could stare at the back of the neck all day), hollowed out tone chambers, ebony bridge saddles on ebony posts, B band EMF piezo system mounted on a piece of spruce - it also has magnetic neck and bridge pickups. Needless to say I am ecstatic about the sound of this bass. I've been dying for that upright sound in something portable - was going to go with a Rob Allen but also having a 'standard' fretless sound available makes it like having two basses in one. Blending the bridge and piezo is a thing of beauty. I'm trying to throw a webpage together to host some mp3's and what not but you can see pics of it on the Hotwire site (Bert's wife loved it).

http://www.hotwire-bass.com/index_en.htm

It's under Technology and then Finish. It came out being a HiGloss greenburst finish - hehe - that's the same bass in all those pictures. Thanks to Bert and Magnus I've cured my 4 string GAS :bassist:

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Beautifull. I always thought Id want Piezo in a fretless, but couldnt live without the added tonal options of the mags, so good call there IMO :)

3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Awesome bass! I've been keeping an eye out for a 5 string version.

Pictures and a review when you get the chance would be appreciated!

Marshall

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    thanks guys, it's this one here...

Attached Files:

5. Thats a damn fine bass

how much did it run you?

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I don't know how cool they'd be with me giving that out. Let's just say it wasn't cheap - go ahead and contact them if you're interested...

email: bert@hotwire-bass.de

7. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    how long did it take them to build it for you?

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  9. I don't think I have ever heard anyone here talk about Hotwire much at all... What's the general consensue with electronics, playability, fit n finish, cost, etc etc???

-ryan-

PS. Very sexy bass!!! Got me drooling!

10. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Well, I think I am also one of few people who play a Hotwire, I have a big apple 5. I got the bass after playing Kai Eckhardt's and fell in love with it. (mine is the one under his on the hotwire website)

Congrats on the bass, I am sure you will love it for many years. I have playing almost nothing but my hotwire for about three years and it's tone has keeped me away from all gas (only amp gas to support the bass)

They are great basses, the big apple is an increadibly aggressive j bass that will kick you in the ass. I can't say what the general view on them are, probably not enough people in this country have played one to have a clear view, but what they do they do well.

I think that while many builders are focused on crazy wood tops hotwire is still focusing on what is really important.

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Instant GAS.

Man, thats beautiful...

12. vintager

vintager

Jan 29, 2005
    Slovakia
    I just discovered them and im amazed.. their DoubleBasses soud unbelievable. And thats by accident what im just working on, a jazz-styled semi-hollow piezo toy. Maybe i should play with some spruce piece inside as well, hehe..

enjoy %%

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Nice ! :bassist:

14. I had them build a lefty 4-string jazz for me. I met Magnus Krempel (Hotwire' luthier) when the bass was in progress and watched him doing the neck profile and body shapings. I think what is true for bassists is true as well for luthiers: It's all in the hands...

In my opinion, their basses are perfect. They are truly hand-made, and Magnus is carefully selecting wood and every bit and piece to fit just like it should.

Regarding cost: There's a price list on their web site. It's in euros, and I guess that at the moment, the euro/dollar ratio is not too much in favor of you American guys over there.... :meh: Still, it should vost less than a Sadowsky.

Oh no! I do not dare to start comparing /[insert any imaginable non-Sadowsky bass]/ to a Sadowsky. :bag:

15. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I just got this bass from Muzique Fann this past weekend. Already used it on a jazz gig, and took it to a loud rock rehearsal. All I can say is, "WOW." The neck is unbelievable--fast and smooth. And he was right about the pickups--blending in the piezo with either or both pickups sounds incredible. Oh, and rolling the neck pickup back just a bit nails the classic Jaco tone. WooHoo! I'll post more pics later.

Any other Hotwire owners around?

16. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Found one from the website:

[​IMG]

17. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    That's a really nice bass.

I own a Big Apple 5.

Is Muzique alive and well? Glad to hear it. He just disappeared at one point. Would love to have him stop by the site and tell us how it's going with NMCX.

:eyebrow: :smug: