New Hotwire Jazz Bass - in Aus!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marlat, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    So I came down to Melbourne for my sister's engagement party. I happened to notice that a music shop was having a sale and I walk in and find a mint condition Hotwire 4 string jazz bass for an obscene price. I couldnt refuse so I bought it.

Pics will follow later but the specs are:

4 string Jazz
    Wine Red finish
    Gold Schaller Machine Heads
    Gold BadAss II Bridge
    Gold J Retro Preamp
    Hotwire Pickups
    Solid Ash body
    BIrdseye Maple Neck and Fingerboard
    In line 4 headstock configuration

The price was literally two good to pass up, even though I didnt really need a new bass. Anyway the bass sounds fantastic and will post full pics etc when I get home.

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

Cool. Enjoy!
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Yeah its a little garish, and I personally wouldnt have chosen gold hardware, but hey I would have kicked myself if I had passed up on this one. Pics coming soon - I promise.

I think its a Funky 77, but i'll need to check it out further when it gets here from Melbourne.
  4. congrats man, sounds like a nice deal....

You have to post pictures
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Mark, I was just kiddign you as you wrote "Gold preamp" instead of "Gold hardware"
    Would be interesting to see a 24k preamp, though :smug:
  6. congrats, welcome in the club.

I personally enjoy a Vint flash 5er Alder ebony as my main instrument. ;)
  7. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Do you remember which music shop it was?
  8. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    East Gate music.
  9. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne

i've had the pleasure of playing that bass a few times and it rocked.

the price was crazy!! i think it came in as a demo for Wayne Jones a few years ago. It'd been in Eastgate for a long time. i also know a friend who bought a black beauty 5 which they don't have on the hotwire website anymore...

I'm not sure about it being a funky77 though. the guys in the shop told me it had an alder body once, and i didn't think it sounded like ash, i couldn't really tell, didn't play it though a good amp.

but it's a great looking, sounding and playing bass! yee ha
  10. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Yeah I wasn't 100% on the ash either. They said it was ash in the store, but the grain pattern dint really have that swamp ash look to it. Its also a very light bass, much lighter than my Marcus Miller - so its eaither a light, lightly grained ash or its alder.

Its also got the inline 4 headstock, which only the Funky 77 seems to have. Perhaps its a custom, I'm not sure. All I knew was that for substantially less than a stock MIA fender jazz bass, it was one hell of a bargain! :D
  11. awesome score mark!
    looking forward to some clips!
  12. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Argh...the bass is still stuck in Melbourne with my brother while I am trying to arrange for it to be sent up to Sydney for me. The wait is killing me.

13. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Edit - Now I Have PICS - Ho Ho Ho! :D

14. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well, i've only had a few minutes on it since it just arrived last night and I was out at dinner and couldnt give it a real play. But from the shop and my brief play last night it is fantastic. The neck has a thicker profile than jazz bass, but not much - its noticeably thicker than my marcus miller.

The J-Retro (actually its probably a John East since its from the UK right! :D ) is awesome. Really flexible - that mid control is brilliant.

Oh I emailed Bert at Hotwire and it is an alder body as suspected.

This one is definately a keeper - unfortunately one of my basses has to go.

I will put up better pics when I get a chance and give a more detailed review. It needs a new set of strings.
  15. Great find Mark! Congrats.

It'll be interesting which axe you finally decide to part with.

I'd be happy to have one of your "throw-aways"...but with 3 basses here and one still "stuck" in America, I don't think my wife would be very keen on another purchase.

Someday, I WILL own a Jazz.
  16. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Mark, not sure what you mean by your UK comment. Isn't Hotwire German-based?

Congrats on the great score. I'd like to know how much you paid, but I know if I asked I would probably be consumed by murderous rage.
  17. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nice, Mark. I currently have a Hotwire J that is very good. They make a good bass! :cool:
  18. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    J-Retro is the "US" name for the preamp but in the UK (and presumably in Europe) they are called John East preamps IIRC.