1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Hotwire Jazz Bass - in Aus!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marlat, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    So I came down to Melbourne for my sister's engagement party. I happened to notice that a music shop was having a sale and I walk in and find a mint condition Hotwire 4 string jazz bass for an obscene price. I couldnt refuse so I bought it.

Pics will follow later but the specs are:

4 string Jazz
    Wine Red finish
    Gold Schaller Machine Heads
    Gold BadAss II Bridge
    Gold J Retro Preamp
    Hotwire Pickups
    Solid Ash body
    BIrdseye Maple Neck and Fingerboard
    In line 4 headstock configuration

The price was literally two good to pass up, even though I didnt really need a new bass. Anyway the bass sounds fantastic and will post full pics etc when I get home.

:hyper:

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow:

:D

Cool. Enjoy!

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Yeah its a little garish, and I personally wouldnt have chosen gold hardware, but hey I would have kicked myself if I had passed up on this one. Pics coming soon - I promise.

I think its a Funky 77, but i'll need to check it out further when it gets here from Melbourne.

4. congrats man, sounds like a nice deal....

You have to post pictures

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Mark, I was just kiddign you as you wrote "Gold preamp" instead of "Gold hardware"
    Would be interesting to see a 24k preamp, though :smug:

6. congrats, welcome in the club.

I personally enjoy a Vint flash 5er Alder ebony as my main instrument. ;)

7. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Do you remember which music shop it was?

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    East Gate music.

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hey,

i've had the pleasure of playing that bass a few times and it rocked.

the price was crazy!! i think it came in as a demo for Wayne Jones a few years ago. It'd been in Eastgate for a long time. i also know a friend who bought a black beauty 5 which they don't have on the hotwire website anymore...

I'm not sure about it being a funky77 though. the guys in the shop told me it had an alder body once, and i didn't think it sounded like ash, i couldn't really tell, didn't play it though a good amp.

but it's a great looking, sounding and playing bass! yee ha

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Yeah I wasn't 100% on the ash either. They said it was ash in the store, but the grain pattern dint really have that swamp ash look to it. Its also a very light bass, much lighter than my Marcus Miller - so its eaither a light, lightly grained ash or its alder.

Its also got the inline 4 headstock, which only the Funky 77 seems to have. Perhaps its a custom, I'm not sure. All I knew was that for substantially less than a stock MIA fender jazz bass, it was one hell of a bargain! :D

11. awesome score mark!
    looking forward to some clips!

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Argh...the bass is still stuck in Melbourne with my brother while I am trying to arrange for it to be sent up to Sydney for me. The wait is killing me.

:bawl:

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Edit - Now I Have PICS - Ho Ho Ho! :D

11425_p463210.

11425_p463211.

StayLow likes this.
  14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well, i've only had a few minutes on it since it just arrived last night and I was out at dinner and couldnt give it a real play. But from the shop and my brief play last night it is fantastic. The neck has a thicker profile than jazz bass, but not much - its noticeably thicker than my marcus miller.

The J-Retro (actually its probably a John East since its from the UK right! :D ) is awesome. Really flexible - that mid control is brilliant.

Oh I emailed Bert at Hotwire and it is an alder body as suspected.

This one is definately a keeper - unfortunately one of my basses has to go.

I will put up better pics when I get a chance and give a more detailed review. It needs a new set of strings.

15. Great find Mark! Congrats.

It'll be interesting which axe you finally decide to part with.

I'd be happy to have one of your "throw-aways"...but with 3 basses here and one still "stuck" in America, I don't think my wife would be very keen on another purchase.

Someday, I WILL own a Jazz.

16. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Mark, not sure what you mean by your UK comment. Isn't Hotwire German-based?

Congrats on the great score. I'd like to know how much you paid, but I know if I asked I would probably be consumed by murderous rage.

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nice, Mark. I currently have a Hotwire J that is very good. They make a good bass! :cool:

18. Nice score, Mark. :cool:

Mike

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    J-Retro is the "US" name for the preamp but in the UK (and presumably in Europe) they are called John East preamps IIRC.