Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New house!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Apr 27, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    My fiance and I just closed on our first house today!

I'm pretty excited. It's a 3 bedroom "ranch", recently painted and carpeted and fully furnished (right down to sheets, drapes, dishes, and even tools in basement). We even were lucky enough to get a finished basement *cough..must buy pool table..cough* with a little workshop area that I'm most likely going to turn into a music area, or as a friend would call it, a "Man Cave" :)

Let me tell you, for those who haven't gone through this before, when someone makes a mention about how many papers you have to sign at the closing, they are NOT kidding! :) We must have signed or initialed 60 papers (probably more). I was pretty happy all together with the morning though, I was told parking would be a nightmare by the courthouse we had to go to, but I got a spot right at front, and it only took about 45 minutes, where as I've heard it can take a few hours.

So, while I'm going to be doing a few litte odd jobs around the house before then, we officially start moving in on Saturday. The only bad thing is that DSL won't be turned on or the modem mailed to me until by May 10th. Oh well, I suppose I can go back to the parent's house atleast once during the week to catch up :)

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Congrats! Welcome to the world of having to fix your own problems and mow your own lawn! :p

Seriously though...that's very exciting..furnished even!

brad cook

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Congrats dude, A homeowners work is never done, but it's worth it!

4. Congrats!!!!

Welcome to: Taxes, water bill, sewer bill, trash bill, county city and state assesments, repainting, gardening, repaving, regrouting, replumbing, recarpeting, retiling, fixing the stove, fixing the fridge, fixing the ac..................

In other words, welcome to my world :D :D :D

5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'm looking forward to fixing stuff. Maybe now I'll start to feel like I'm handy at something :) As far as mowing the lawn, because of the disability it might be tiresome for me to do it (willing to give it a shot though), but my fiance said she'd already handle it. We only have a 1/4 acre lot so it's not a huge job. I know I could get a rider mower too, but there's no real point if we already have a mower and she's cool with doing it.

The funny thing is that we're referring to the house as "the convenience store", because when we think of something we may have to go buy, until we know the extent of what's in the house, the first thing we think is "the house probably already has it" *lol*

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    good work!

7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well, the taxes are already in our mortgage payments (escrowed) because we didn't put 20% down. Water, sewer and trash...yea those will be a joy, but they're quartley, so not entirely that bad. As for repaving, regrouting, replumbing, recarpeting, and fixing appliances, I may be the only male alive who knows they'll just wind up screwing it up and call someone to do it in the first place :D

8. Congrats! Did you get a good deal? Sounds like it...

what is property like that going for in your area? In mine, 275 -325,000 easily.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    We did the same thing. I kinda like that at this point because I'm a subcontractor and have to save up to make quarterly estimated tax payments as it is so that would suck to also be saving up to pay my property taxes as well. Yeah, I could probably make a tiny bit of interest off of it but it's not worth it to me at this point in life.

brad cook

10. I paid 20 percent down, and still opted for escrow account, it's just easier that way. For me anyway.

11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    The workshop area I have, that'll be my music room. The rest of the basement is going to be like a game area. Why not have both :)

12. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    When we first looked at the house I was already told my drums and bass aren't going in the finished area. Well, maybe the bass, but not the drums *lol* :)

13. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper: