Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New HT122s from Jim Bergantino!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emjazz, Sep 12, 2005.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well folks, you asked for a bigger sounding 112 stack from Jim and now you can get it. Check out www.bergantino.com for the new 112s cab with a horn. I got to hear the prototype and while it was slightly different than the final version it sounded huge, round and warm. This is definately just what the doctor ordered! Stack it on top of the EX112s for a giant, room filling sound. :hyper:

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    This intrigues the hell out of me. :hyper:

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Very nice!!! :bassist:

4. Could somebody please start to carry Bergantino's in NW Indiana ... or some where halfway close...??? :rolleyes:

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Big, we have GOT to get you a dealer out there!!!!

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I feel your pain....there is a lot of water between me and any hi-end bass dealers :(

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Any thoughts on how the HT/EX "S" stack compares to the tried and true Mini Berg Stack (HT112/EX112)? I'm guessing bigger lows from the "S" stack, but perhaps more focused mids from the old standby?

Tom.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tom, from my very limited playing time with the HT122s that I had I imagine the HT112/EX112 stack still being the punchier, cut through anything stage setup. However, take that sound, soften the mids a bit and add a huge pillow of low end support and you should get the HT122s/EX112s stack. With the 11 1/2" depth of the cabinet the new stack will still retain a great deal of punch. Time will tell though.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    After playing a rehearsal the other day with a friend's older Bag End cab (the shallow 210), Jim's cabs with the 11 1/2" depth really intrigue me more an more. I will say that for me there was simply no comparison in tone between the Bag End and my Bergs.

10. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    you got my attention!!

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The 11.5" depth really speaks to me. My cabs today are almost 18" deep. That takes a lot of space on a stage. I also love the newer black grills he use.
    Just by looking at his lineup you can tell he got good taste. :bassist:
    Not many dealers in Europe though. :scowl:

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    great googlie mooglie!!

13. Those cabs always looked interesting to me, but at, I believe, around 110 pounds for both of them, I don't quite get the concept.... I guess it's the shallow depth that allows you to put them in a standard trunk? The weight is heavier than most 410 cabs, and from what I read in the BP review and looking at the specs, you do pay a sonic price with that reduced box size. :confused:

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I can understand the weight concerns. For anyone wanting a lighter solution with a big sound there's the HT112 or the EX112. For someone wanting a more modular setup for a louder, deeper rig than the HT122s/EX112s could be a great choice. I have a strong feeling that this setup will keep up with most 410's out there and it's still carrying 50lbs with each cab as opposed to a single 100lb 410.

As for paying a sonic price, I couldn't disagree more. You're not losing anything. Jim isn't like most builders. He's not out to make a different version of everything that's already out there. He's creating the best cabs that he can from the ground up which means new, fresh ideas. I have A LOT of respect for him because of this and will play his cabs for the rest of my life, not to mention they just so happen to give me the sound that I hear in my head. These cabs are going to give you a sound that you can't get from any other cabinet builder. They aren't designed to emulate anything so therefore you're not "losing" any sonic integrity. Trust me, this new cab sounds giant. For me it's even closer to my ideal sound. It's got a very big, round, focused sound that really appeals to me. I can't wait to hear the stack now.

I myself questioned when Jim stopped making the 310, 212 and the 115. I couldn't see far ahead enough to understand his vision. You'll probably never see a 410 cabinet from Jim. He doesn't seem to feel the need to make something that has been beaten to death already. Thank God.

There are sooooooooo many cabinet builders out there now and so many choices. This is a great thing. I myself get very excited talking about Bergantino cabs because I know what I hear every time I plug my bass into my rig. To me, it sounds like my bass amplified in the way that I've always wanted to hear. Awesome! :bassist:

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Discaimer: I don't work for Jim nor do I speak for him. Truthfully I've not even had the pleasure to speak to him. I know two people who speak to him a lot and so I do get to hear some of the thoughts that go into all of this stuff. I just want to say that because reading my own post I realize that I make a lot of statements that sound like I'm speaking for Jim. I just want to make it clear that this isn't the case. I just get a little overexcited is all. :hyper:

16. +1 in a big way... lot's of great options. As you know, I feel about my EpiUL's like you feel about the Berg's. Life if good!

17. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think they look fine, but that's alot of weight for 2x1x12's! (Yes, Andy, I'm a big puss!)

18. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thats it I need one of every Berg cab ever made. :D
    I like the fact that Jim makes his cabs whatever weight they need to be to sound the way he wants them too. I dont mind carrying my 60 lb HT210 because it sounds sooo good! I doubt there is any loss is sound quality.

19. Cool! The only thing that's a little difficult for me to understand is this re-occuring statement about 'Jim making the cabs the exact way he wants them to sound'. I'm sure that's the case, but I would guess that's the same approach that most high-end cab makers take. And I agree with you, if you like the sound of a 60 pound 210 (!), go for it. I luckily like the sound of a 32 pound 210 and a 57 pound 410! :D

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I also like Jim's cabs very much and, like KJung and others, I DON'T like to load heavy cabs. In fact, the weight is the only thing I dislike about Jim's cabs and I don't gig them sometimes for that reason alone. As Jim has stated to me numerous times on the phone, however, he believes the weight is necessary for the sound he's designing (for a number of reasons) and I respect that. It just means that some of us will choose to use other cabs sometimes strictly based on our old (and aging) backs! :D