Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New iAmp800...why did I wait so long???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaveB, Mar 19, 2004.

1. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Although I made a partial switch to EA a few months ago with the CXL112 cabinet I have now completed the loop. I picked up a new iAMP800 yesterday and spent all last night trying it out. I really should have done this sooner. This is one terrific amp. I'm both an electric and upright guy and this is the perfect rig for both. My Mod Q5 has never sounded so sweet and my upright sounds like, well.... my upright. Even my beloved Fishman Platinum Bass Pro EQ will be unemployed now.
    For all of you EA afficianadoes who counseled in favor of this amp (cab too) you were right on the money.
    A note for my fellow Canadians. I got this at Club Bass and Dave (who predicted this amp purchase when I got the cab) tried his best not to gloat about how right he was!!!

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Congrats on the rig!!! Couple questions: How does the cxl 112 sound with upright?? Also do you have to unplug basses when you switch or do you have it set up with both plugged in?

3. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    Don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm just curious as to where all you guys have been getting your EA gear? (I also see an iAmp800 in my rig's future). Congrats, Dave. Have fun with that bad boy!

~Pete

4. Congrats on your new amp, Dave!!! I've found CB to be excellent to deal with.

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    metron- My upright was the reason I got the CXL112 in the first place. At the time I was very happy with my Bag End cabs for electric but the BEs aren't great for URB. It reproduces the upright very accurately with no coloration (duh...that's the whole point of EA gear). For months I have paired it with an Eden head (with preamp bypassed and the Fishman Platinum Bass).It was ok but the iAmp has kicked it to a new level of accuracy. Also the CXL112 takes a real beating. I played last week with a six piece bebop band - upright, very loud drummer, sax, trumpet, and two guitars. I had to seriously crank the Eden but the 112 took it just fine.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Ya man! Dave really knows his stuff. EA gear is awesome. Superbly clear and accurate. Definitely a good choice!

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    got mine from Bobby G. www.urbbob.com

8. Hey Dave,

Noticed that you have/had an Eden WT-500. How would you compare the iAmp to the Eden? What sort of differences do you hear?

9. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    12Bass - The Eden is going up for sale next week. The difference is this. When you select an Eden (or SWR or Ampeg or Ashdown or etc, etc,) you are selecting that manufacturer's signature tone voicing (or coloration).That's not a bad thing, in fact it's necessary to offer us choices on the tonal palette.
    I was a Fender Bass (Ps & Js)/Eden amp/Eden cab (on electric) for years. Then I bought a Modulus Q5 and started to get caught up in "clarity" of tone rather than "coloration". That continued with the CXL112. The iAmp is extremely colorless and was a natural extension of my new perspective on tone and color.. It doesn't have a signature tone. It sounds like the Q5 DI'd straight to the board. (But it DOES have extremely powerful EQ capability) More importantly to me, it also achieves that with the upright. I gig regularly with a Funk/Classic R&B/Motown band (electric) and a Jazz Trio (URB) in rooms of all sizes. There isn't a gig I'll play where the the iAmp and the 112 won't be the rig. AND...it's light and compact.
    Metron- the switching thing. I do very few doubling gigs but for those I just switch the EQ before the next song manually. I've got it down to a science. I've got an A/B box for the two cord (URB and electric).

10. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    For the most part I agree. Although, the EA is juiced up in the highs giving you the clarity they are famous for. I think they are much more clear sounding then a straight DI sound.