Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new ibanez basses... interesting notes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SRSiegel, Mar 28, 2003.

1. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    So I was looking at the Ibanez USA website, just to dull the pains of boredom, and I noticed some interesting things. We all know that ibanez doesnt distribute the ATKs in the USA anymore, but perhaps theyre trying to make up for it?

First interesting note: the new RKB 900 bass is up. Theres only one bass in the model line, 4 string only, available in black or sunburst only, with a P+J passive setup, alder body, one piece maple neck, basically straight vintage vibe. The body shape of the RKB reminds be a lot of the ATK bass, and I'm just curious wether they are based on the same body (although the infamous ATK electronics are missing) also I think the pickguard on the RKB is hideous... but thats just me.

[​IMG]

next thing that caught my attention: The revamped EDC ergodyne basses. They have one of the simpler preamps built in (eqb-II) instead of the varimid hi-fi that they used to share with the BTBs. Whats really interesting is the change in pikcups. The EDC used to have a dual soapbar setup, and now has moved to a single triple coil pickup... a pickup that looks strangely exactly like the one on the ATKs. thoughts on this?

[​IMG]

Anoter thing I noticed that interested me was the introduction of a new BTB model. The BTB300bg looks to be a step above the quality of the BTB400 series in body woods and appearance (my opinion) with less complicated electronics. The bass also has J style pickups vs. the soaps. I like this move by Ibanez, as it provides what will most likely be a very high quality bass with nice woods, hardware, and construction, just without the varimid hi-fi eq and teh soaps. This will surely keep the price of the bass down, but without making the bass look or feel "cheap". It doesnt look like a "G" counterpart (intro level like the GSRs) to the BTB series, just an alternative. Perhaps its a BTB intrepetation of a modern Jazz bass...

[​IMG]

One last thing: It appears the soundgear line is getting a slight revamping as well. The SR 490 series was just introduced and features a 5 piece wenge and walnut neck, with a mahogony body, all oil finished, very nice looking IMO, with satin hardware.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

opinions on all this? ive always been a huge ibanez fan, and i like these moves.

2. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Ah well, looks like I'm still waiting for my ideal Ibanez... BTB with ATK electronics... :(

Russ :bassist:

3. Im the other way around. I want an ATK with BTB electronics (pref the Bart setup)

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Are those SD p'ups on that RKB?! I posted those once before, and I like 'em! The RKB, that is.

5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i know i may not be in a popular school of thought, but after playing the best of all three model line ups (BTB, ATK, SR) my favorite is still the soundgear. When i was looking at that site today the new SR490 and the SR3000 looked very appealing to me with their oil finishes. I had an SR800A and I loved it. Just didnt like the cheezy plastic knobs and the thick gloss finish.

yeah the RKB is all passive with SD pickups in it.

6. I think Ibanez is really starting to listen to bass players. They're not a top name and probably never will be, but, I've always liked most of their stuff.

The RKB looks like it'll sound great just from the specs. By keeping the electronics simple, no one will be able to say it has cheap electronics in it.

The EDC going to one pickup seems to be following Yamaha's new John Myung model. I think it's a good move. I've always liked the one pup idea.

The new BTB does look really nice and I bet it's going to steal some market from the MIM Fenders and others in the $500 range.

Ibanez. We won't be kicked around anymore. ;)

Mike