Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW IBANEZ BASSES!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by luisnovelo, Feb 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just checked out Ibanez website..

They released a bunch of new bass models.. Some seem to suck real bad.. I think they don't needed to put those models out.. and maybe they wont last more than a year.. But they made some great improvements in the SR line...

cough*barts*cough!!

JUST CHeck ´em out..

www.ibanez.com

[​IMG] :)

2. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    I'm kinda on the fence about the 500 series... they replaced the 490, which is cool, because I got one before the line was discontinued, but is also really ghey because the equivalent of my bass is decked out with Bart-style bling.

I'm loving the new EDA colors, just beautiful. The SRPs and Roadgears are a little dumb in my eyes, as well as the Artcores.The ICB doesn't look all that bad. Of course, the new SRs are awesome.

3. Hey Luis, what's up? :)

This confirms a suspicion I've had: Ibanez has discontinued the BTB515e. Now, there's no middle bass between the 405, and the 1005.

Oh, well.

Also, I played the ICB the other day; it's pretty nice. The neck feels very much like a Jazz bass, and the tone seems like it would be best for rock. http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/series.asp?s=icb&l=b

At least we know that Ibanez isn't sitting on their butts. ;)

Mike

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Uh, what are they sitting on? :confused:

FYI, there's an SRX505 on the Bass Northwest website priced at $349....

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    No, they are not just sitting on their butts, but doing something, too, that means for that reason they have to get up from their chair ;)

6. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    I think it's cool the new Ibanez lineup is drawing some attention around here lately... other than the traditional bashing. :rolleyes: But I'm not so sure I like the new lineup.

While it's very interesting they're now producing neck-thru models (SR900, SRX700), I was perfectly happy with their bolt-on. I don't think neck-thru construction is mandatory to make a good instrument and have to wonder if Ibanez is doing it just to prove that they can.

Blackbird, I think RB was talking about the SR series. Looks like the 500 replaced the 490 and the 800. :( I'm not crazy about mahogany, or Barts, or soapbars in general. Or maple bodies like on the 900.

I never would have thought a used Ibanez would become a sought-after item... :eek: but after viewing the new lineup I've started thinking about getting another SR800 to have for backup.

7. does anybody know how much the sr905 would go for, it has got me interested.

8. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    true ey, take a look at Sadowsky's huh bolt-on and sound beaut!
    I like the SRX 505 pickups lots...they are really unique. What do you guys think barts are gonna sound like (i never played a bart armed bass)

better or worse?

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I have nothing but good things to say about the SRX505 I took delivery of yesterday. Sounds really good, has a nice growl.

I've not heard much that's bad about bartolini elecronics or pickups, I imagine it'd sound just as good if not better with Barts than it does with whatever Ibanez was using before.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I played the new Soundgear Xtreme 5 string the other day (BTW, what's with Ibanez and all this moe-spelling? Xtreme, Phat, etc).

All I can say, is it sucked. Weak pickups..all highs and lows, no mids. That familiar Fiedly tapita whackita tick tackita.

They may look different, but they are still Ibanez.

11. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    The weird spellings are no doubt some dumb sh*t Ibanez's marketing department says the kids like to see.

*shrug*

I gotta disagree about how that bass sounds (in a shameless display of defense for my new purchase). It's not "clicky" at me at all.

12. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    A great surprise would be Ibanez making ATK basses again...... Though I always wanted an Iceman bass. :bassist:

13. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm not really interested in any of the new designs too much. Though I would be interested in taking a closer look at the artcore series since their set neck hollow bodies :meh:.

14. Arcatus

Arcatus

Feb 8, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
  15. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
  16. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    The Bart MK1 on a Mahogany bass is very muddy IME. I had a Cort Artisan with a Mahogany body and MK1's. It was just too muddy for me. IMO, the Bart MK1 system isn't very good.

17. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
  18. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I've known of the Japanese ATK basses, but I was curious if there's anyway to get them in the US. Or would you require buying it from a shop overseas and having it imported (which would probably be more expensive than it's worth dealing with)?

19. Ibanez is not sitting on their butts but I stll think they are messing up some things.. Anyway.. I love most of their basses... The most positive improvements I see is the sr500 series.. They brought the body style of the 3000 to a lower cost version.. They put barts on it.. It keeps the accu cast bridge.. That's great.. The only thing that doesn't make me crazy about them, is the eq.. They have mid sweep on lower and igher models but not on the 500 and 900 series..

Also a good improvement IMO is the bridge on the Gary Willis new model...

20. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Deleted text Ibanez basses are FAR better than the rest of the under - $1000 production group.

Warning - name calling will NOT be tolerated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.