New Ibanez BTB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Licketysplit, May 1, 2001.

1. Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    Has anyone seen these or played one yet? They look beautiful, but i have'nt been able to play one yet. I was looking at the BTB405QM (five-string) in particular, but I'd like to know more about all three models in general. How's the action, string height, tone, etc...

I am seriously considering buying one of these, they run for about 600 bucks for the fiver in MF.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    VERY good bass. Really good. It has a neck like a plank (i.e. WIDE), but the construction, electronics, and quaility are very good. Even when not considering it's an Ibanez (renound for mediocrity). Go for it. One of the best fivers out there, with on of the tightest B strings you'll find in a entry level fiver like these, not to mention the's a Monorail II. That's a bridge that allows for better intonation, beings that each string has it's own unit. Pretty good stuff. Go for it!
  3. Trix

May 1, 2001
    Just bought one, as a matter of fact.
    Plays decent enough... I'm not into all the big details but it fits me perfect.
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Brendan, the monorail has NOTHING to do with intonation, it's just to (supposedly) prevent other strings from ringing out when not played. A fix for bad technique, basically.

Anyhow, its a very very good bass for the money. Go for it.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My bad angus. I'm not sure. I really need to start getting firsthand information, and not second or third hand...
  6. Hey Lickity, I tried one of these basses last Friday.
    IT IS AWESOME. Brendon just about said it all. The best feature IMHO is the B string, the notes are so deep and clear. I played a few other fivers at the same time, and the only one in the same league was
    a $1,499.00 Spector. (I forgot the model #)

I'm in the market for a 5, and this one is at the top of my list both for quality and price. I also played the BTB1005. The sound wasn't much different, but the quality of the workmanship was top notch. The sound is close to that of an active Jazz Bass just to give you an idea. I have the bread now, but, I just want to wait a little longer before I buy one.
    Guys that aren't Ibanez fans like this one.

Right guys?

Check it out,
    Mike J.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

One of the best bass bargains out there at the moment.

The only other 5 string under $1000 that I would even consider is the MTD Kingston.

The BTB has a better B string than a lot of basses that cost twice as much.

The only drawback to the BTB is that the neck feels huge if you have small hands.

Fender type profile, extra wide spacing and 35" scale.

But a very good bass, for the price.