Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW Ibanez GWB-model!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Söderberg, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Söderberg

Söderberg

Sep 30, 2004
    Sweden
    First there was the GWB1 (made in japan, ebony fredboard, bartolinipickup). Then, Ibanez discontinued this model and introduced the GWB35 model (basswood body, made in korea or something, ebonol fredboard, ibanezpickup). THEN, the GWB105 was intoduced (same swampash body as the GWB1 but other specs similar to the 35-model).

NOW, Ibanez introduce the GWB 1005-model. It looks..nice. I don´t see much difference from the 105 apart from the black headstock.

Anyone?

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/zoom/GWB1005NTF.jpg

2. The Fingerboard on the new one is in Ebonol, whereas my GWB1 has an ebony fingerboard. That's the only difference I picked up.

3. Söderberg

Söderberg

Sep 30, 2004
    Sweden
    GWB105 and 35 has ebonol too. I hope the 1005 is produced in Japan.

4. JuanG

JuanG

Oct 16, 2005
    New York city
    Yeah...it's produced in japan!! but anybody knows the price?? hopefully won't be more expensive than the GWB 105........

5. marsk

marsk

Aug 17, 2002
    I saw it at NAMM, and it was (list) priced at $3995.

6. Does anyone know what the value of a mint GWB1 would be ?

7. Söderberg

Söderberg

Sep 30, 2004
    Sweden
    3995 bucks!????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? HOLY MACKEREL! :crying:

EDIT!

The 1005 seems to have a new bridge, looks more like the crappy one that was on the GWB1 if you ask me. And the body is made of light ash instead of the swamp ash on both GWB1 and GWB105. Over all, except from the bridge, it seems solid and if it is (like stated above) made in Japan - I´m going for it! But...the price!! Oh lord.

8. dirkjonker

dirkjonker

Nov 3, 2005
    That sounds waaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive for an ibanez! You can have a way better bass custom made for the same price...

I did a quick google and found one on a japanese site, for
    336,000.00 Japan Yen which is about 2,915.78 US Dollars

9. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    impossible, no way that bass will be that expensive don't speculate and wait for them to hit stores.

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Light ash is swamp ash. Regardless of its source, when ash is sorted by weight, the light stuff is sold as "swamp ash". This is stated on the authority of several luthiers.

11. Söderberg

Söderberg

Sep 30, 2004
    Sweden
    Oh, cool, thanks for the info!:bassist:

12. Söderberg

Söderberg

Sep 30, 2004
    Sweden
    Got some new from Mr Willis himself:

- The bass is handbuilt in a customshop (in Japan) buy some craftmen (from Ibanez).

- The listprice will be like 3300 bucks (holy crap!!!)

- This bass is to be compared with other handcrafted basses like Fodera´s, Tobias, F-basses etc.

Here in Sweden the listprice will be 39.000 SEK (about 5600 bucks).

This is alot of money folks.

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's pretty hot IMO.

14. Why that black headstock... Mine looks so much nicer with the natural wood finish...

15. Söderberg

Söderberg

Sep 30, 2004
    Sweden
    Could´t agree with you moore! And why ebonol instead of ebony!? Holy cow!:spit:

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    They are out of their minds.

There's nothing extraordinary on this bass to justify the price.
    If I shelled out so much money (and I whouldn't, I built my last bass and will build my future basses "myself"), then I'd go to a luthier with a bit higher reputation, not just settle for "made some obscure luthier"; and I don't need that Ibanez decal either :p

17. Well, I can't see that anyone here has played one.

IMO, it will be comparable to foderas and the like.

18. Comparable to Fodera and F Bass eh? Why not just get a Fodera or an F Bass for that kind of scratch?

-ryan-

19. yea or a ritter, or a sadowsky, or anything else but an ibanez.

its nice but i couldnt see spending $3000+ dollars on an ibanez, no matter how good it was.