Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Ibanez GWB105 fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bedrock, Mar 9, 2006.

1. bedrock

bedrock

Sep 6, 2004
    I just received a brand new GWB105 bass from gui****iscount.com. I payed $899 including shipping, and I received the bass within 4 days of ordering it. When I opened the package, I was somewhat surprised by how visually striking the ash body was. Not in a gaudy kind of way, but the grain was more apparent then I'm used to seeing in swamp ash. It is also the lightest 5-string bass I have ever held. Before plugging it in, I plucked a few notes acoustically and noticed that the strings were quite dead. The bass must have been played in the shop quite a bit. Also, the neck had a bit too much relief. After adjusting the truss rod, I plugged the bass in. The first thing that came to mind is how resonant the bass is. The body just resonates like crazy when you pluck a note. Also, the neck is the thinnest, most comfortable neck I have ever owned(I have owned approximately 35 basses over the years). While the lows sounded very big and natural, the highs were muted due to the dead strings. That evening I drove out to my studio and purchased some Ken Smith stainless steel strings. After putting them on, the highs really opened up on the bass. The phenolic fingerboard really gives the bass some bite like a Pedulla Buzz bass, but the overall decay and tone is very different. Much more acoustical with a more natural low end. Last night I used it on a gospel gig, and the bass sounded really big but stayed super tight, including the B-string. The bass also balances extremely well. So far I am quite pleased with this instrument.