1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Ibanez (headless, multiscale)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chanson, Dec 5, 2019.

1. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Thank you, @foothilla, for your clarifications. I confess that I don't know whether a dual-action (what I assume you mean by "bi-flex" -- new term for me) truss rod is the norm or not with instruments today. I assumed that it was (at least in non-Fender-type instruments), but, on reflection, perhaps without much supporting evidence.

For what it's worth, I like my necks fairly close to flat -- I do like a little relief in there, but not, I think, much. It'll vary with the bass and the strings used, but, adjusting both relief and action by feel, I've historically ended up at least in the ballpark of Fender spec. Used to be on the low side but, like Janek Gwizdala, I've raised it a little in recent years.

BurningSkies likes this.
  2. foothilla

foothilla

Aug 21, 2016
    Los Angeles
    The whole "bi-flex" vs. "dual action" is a semantics thing. Originally "dual action" referred to instruments with 2 truss rods (i.e. Alembic, Rickenbacker). Then the bi-flex truss rod showed up, and I guess it was probably called "bi-flex" to avoid being confused for a double truss rod system. I think Fender developed the bi-flex truss rod and patented the name. As years passed many people started making their own versions of bi-flex truss rods and started calling them "dual action", "double action", "two-way", etc.. Now it is completely acceptable to use those terms. I still say bi-flex out of habit, to differentiate from dual truss systems. It's kinda like calling tissue paper "Kleenex". It's a weird habit I can't break.

Dual action truss rods are now pretty common. I wouldn't say they are the standard, but they are way more common than they were just a few decades ago. They are now very common now on boutique basses.

Fender used to give you a little instrument care booklet with all of their instruments, that had their setup specs listed in the book. If I was doing a setup for someone that gave me no input on their preferences, I would use those Fender specs for every instrument, regardless of brand. I'd have no problem keeping this EHB1500 well within those Fender specs.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    MarkA likes this.
  3. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    About truss rod I Know some players or liuthers that don't remove tension string before operate....and I think they don't have damaged a lot of necks....

nuage420b likes this.
  4. foothilla

foothilla

Aug 21, 2016
    Los Angeles
    CORRECTION!!!!!

So, I was wrong. I just checked, and the EHB1500 is indeed a two way truss rod. It has an abnormally large "neutral" position, and the impact of the truss rod is more more subtle than your average two way truss rod (dual action truss rods typically give you a more drastic response, compared to single action truss rods). But, it is indeed a dual action truss rod.

So, this makes almost everything I've said in my 5 previous posts total crap. You can put all the up-bow in this neck that you can handle. My bass did not arrive "slack", it arrived in "neutral" position.

The neutral position on my EHB1500 is much longer than on most dual action truss rods. It does a few full (very loose) 360 degree rotations before re-engaging in the opposite direction.

LordHar and son_of_mogh like this.
  5. foothilla

foothilla

Aug 21, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Read my last post. You may not be maxed out. These truss rods just have an abnormally large "neutral" position.

It would have been helpful if Ibanez provided some literature with these basses,....or if there was at least had some reference material available online. I was convinced that I was just a few rotations from removing the nut from the truss rod, and then suddenly it re-engages in the other direction.

nuage420b likes this.
  6. nuage420b

nuage420b Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Live now...

LowEndLobster and Paulabass like this.
  7. To your last suggestion there, yes, occasionally truss rods can rattle in the neck. This is typically not an issue on commercial instruments though. My first ever build needs the rods snug or the will violently rattle on a certain note!

MarkA likes this.
  8. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Looks like the Aguilar DCB’s worked out well in the EHB1005MS. I like them better than the Bart’s.

LowEndLobster and nuage420b like this.
  9. Rob112

Rob112

Sep 9, 2015
    Same. I’m just not a huge fan of the Barts. I get it’s preference, but not mine personally.

LowEndLobster and nuage420b like this.
  10. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    mine will get nord big singles

Rob112 and LowEndLobster like this.
  11. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I was certain I would stay stock, since I tend to cut treble anyway, but hearing Lobster's Aguilars I'm not so sure now.

12. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    zylWzBO.png

Here are the Aggies in the EHB! They're glorious! Was messing around with this bass this morning, really love the tones out of it. It sounds exactly like I'd hoped, more clarity on the high end while still maintaining the more classic tone as opposed to the more hi-fi Nordies.

13. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Obviously a lot of us are eagerly waiting for you to post a video directly comparing the stock Bartolini BH2 and current Aguilar DCB, plus the Nordstrand on your 1505MS as a side benchmark.

Lunatique and nuage420b like this.
  14. foothilla

foothilla

Aug 21, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I have Aguilar PU's in my Maruszczyk, and I like them much better than the Nordstrands in the EHB1500.

15. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Obviously each has own personal taste, but you still need to be more specific with that...

Since this discussion thread is about the EHB, it can be safely assumed most would understand the Nordstrand you are referring to, but we don't know what kind of Aguilar on the Maruszczyk. Aguilar has a lot of PU's. Even Ibanez has used a couple of different Aguilar PU's (the DCB and the Super Doubles) on its other basses.

16. foothilla

foothilla

Aug 21, 2016
    Los Angeles
    DCB's

17. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    I'm waiting for an interesting comparison between Aguilar, BArtolini, Northstrand...If it is possible.

18. foothilla

foothilla

Aug 21, 2016
    Los Angeles
    It's funny how opinions are so drastically different. I find the Aguilars to be more HiFi. The Nordstrands are super midrange forward, like noisy jazz bass pickups on steroids. That isn't "hifi" to me. To my ears, the Aguilars are a wider, much more balanced, smooth tonal spectrum,...while sacrificing some of the Nordstrands midrange definition. Where the Nords are pushed heavily in the midrange, the Aguilars actually sound a touch scooped in the mids.

The Nordstrands are my least favorite part of the EHB1500. They sound like jazz bass pickups that are being sent through active circuitry, with an added bump on the top end. They aren't bad sounding,....but there is nothing special about them either, IMO. I'd take the Aguilar DCB's, or a good set of Barts, over the Nords.

Aidil and 5StringPocket like this.
  19. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Adding
    I'm reeling back my initial dislike of the Barts in my 1005. They just needed effects thrown at them. I may end up swapping just the preamp and keeping the barts in place.
    I agree with you on the jazz pups on steroids, and I love that sound. It's only reason my 1300 is staying in the line up.

foothilla likes this.
  20. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    +1... I’ve had basses with Aggie DCB, Nordy Big Splits, and Bart BH2 pickups. I didn’t hear the DCB’s as mid scooped, but having a bit wider and more balanced response - very nice. The Big Splits were more mid forward but helped by a bump to the bass to fatten them up. As a finger style player I like the way these mids give them a bit of bark and don’t get lost in the mix. I’d be good with the DCB or Big Split but the BH2 didn’t work for me so it comes down to personal preference. With these different tonal options one needs to understand their playing styles and preferences to make the most suitable choice. It’s nice to have videos, sound clips, and reviews instead of just rolling the dice.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    nuage420b and foothilla like this.