Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Ibanez SR and SRX hot or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Jan 12, 2005.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Has anybody tried these Ibanez 5-strings? I'm partial to the SR 905 but I haven't thried these others:

Ibanez SR 505
    Ibanez SR 3005
    Ibanez SRX 705

How much? Hot? Not?

r

PS and let's keep the price ratio in mind. I know the SR 3005 is the highest caliber bass here but I'm also sure its WAY expensive too. So pound for pound who is the best buy?

2. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    the other two...

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I prefer the SRX 705. I find that the tone is much more aggressive and much better for slapping.

4. Why is it that that 905 looks so good to me? I have an SR5, but the 905 is giving me gas with that neck-thru, the barts, the 24 frets, and the maple top.

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I know!!! I saw that puppy in see-thru black and it blew me away. The neck was very nice but I didn't get a chance to plug it in. the SR 905 has a real high-end Spector vibe. I really liked it. It’s Korean and a notch under $800.

Now I've tried the SRX 505 and agree it was way aggressive but still sorta low end. Then I saw the SRX 705 (the 505's big bro) and thought--wow! But once again, only got to tool around with it acoustically; never had a chance to plug in!

The SR 505 I've flat out never seen. I'm sure it’s less expensive than the 905 but how much of a step down is it really?

the SR 3005 is clearly the BMW of the bunch and likely Japanese. I've also never seen it and figure it's gotta be over $1,000; but is it worth it?

Feedback? Bring it on!

r

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the SR3000e (3005e is just the 5 string vers). Its a great bass, compared to Ibanez's other stuff. Its costs about $799 new.

7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I've played the SRX705 here and there (a friend of mine owns one) and I have the SRX505 ... IMO, the SRX line is a powerful group of basses. I personally didn't find the SR basses as powerful (if that's what you're looking for).

My only complaint with the SRX505 is that it is ONLY powerful ... it's in-your-face thump, all the time. No finesse, no lite jazz gigs, just big time punch. Great funk bass :cool:

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Wow, really? I was sure it was going to be pricier. It sounds around the same price as the SR 905. Has anyone tried these basses back to back?

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its about $100-$200 more expensive, depending where you buy it. Ive played them both and i liked the 3000/3005 better than the 900/905. Both good basses, i just liked the neck on the 3000 a lot better (wenge/bubinga).

10. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah, those MM-like humbuckers kick (at least it did on the SRX 505 I tried and I'm sure its the same picups and preamp in the SRX 705--which I've tried but sadly I have not pluged in). I really like the feel of the neck-thru 705 and the natural wood is really nice. But I don't need the pickups to be of the skull-crusher variety though I appreciate some power as much as the next. I'm thinking the Barts on the SR 905 are more what I'm looking for but I still wouldn't rule out that 705; it felt really nice.

r

11. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA

My guess is this is what Ibanez was going for:

SR 905 = Spector
    SR 3005 = Warwick

err...for those of us on a budget, that is ;)

r

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mm, i cant say i agree with you. I dont think there is enough resemblance to the instruments to make that comparison. Yes the 3005 has wenge and bubinga in the neck, but thats about as far as the warwick comparison goes (which now use ovangkol neck so that isnt even the same). I dont see the spector comparison at all really. The pickups and electronics have nothing to do with the others as well. so :eyebrow:

But basically, the 3005 is a great bass, budget or not. The barts gave it a mellow yet warm tone, probably has to do with the mahog body as well. I enjoy the tone of it greatly and would recomend it as a new bass in that price range.

13. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Yes. Truly a great bass.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I can see the comparison.

905 - Hard finished maple, like Spector
    3005 - Oil finished heavy hardwoods, like Warwick

15. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA

Good way to describe it. I own an SRX 300 4-string and it's pretty much all or nothing but I still like it and will get a 505 next. I think they are very good basses for the money and yes they have great slap tone.

They are great for agressive styles of music. I couldn't make mine work for everything I have to play so bought a Fender Jazz. I kept the SRX and still use it, it's fun to play.

Just plug into a good amp at GC and start to compare. The necks will feel very similar between the two but the SRX & the SR's sound way different.

16. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Take Figjam's advice and check this one out too. My friend owns this bass and it sounds and plays great. It has a lot to offer for less than $1,000.00.

17. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I have an SR505-BM which is essentially a 505 with a mahogany body and a 5 piece mahogany and wenge(sp?) neck with Bartolini pickups in it, and I love it.The bass is very hot and the neck is the best feeling 5 string neck I have played.The string spacing is tighter on this model than on Stingrays or G&L's (both of which I have had).I love it, but I know many that don't like the tighter string spacing for slapping.I got it for a steal at guitar center at the end of the year (the best time to buy an instrument by the way, the stores want to get rid of them before tax time, and they are really ready to deal).It's too late for that obviously, but I dare say that you can get this bass for about $509 with a little rangling.I did better and got 13 months same as cash! The guitar center does that about two or three times a year, so watch out for that.Good luck!

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Quite true but i would think that tonally theres not much similiarity.

19. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    One edge that the SR series seems to have over the SRX series that I had not noticed before is the eq. The SRs you get that mid boost/cut which comes in pretty handy for you slap-happy sorts.

20. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    I have the sr900 in translucent black. I love the tone, and it is one of the most comfortable basses i have ever played. the neck is really fast, and it looks great as well