Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Ibanez SR1000EFM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joeeg33, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Hey All,
    Well, this has been a fun week for me. I covered most of NJ looking for a new bass. Today was my last stop, it was at Russo's music in Hamilton. I have been to the store a few times, and they always have some nice stuff there.
    Anyway, I had about a grand to spend. After checking out some basses I saw a nice looking bass hangin, I take a closer look and see it was an Ibanez. I usually don't even take them down to check out but something was telling me go ahead, it's OK. Well, I was very impressed with every aspect of it. It seems Ibanez maybe listening, or possibly reading this forum. The first thing I noticed was a beefier neck, front to back. Next, string spacing is wider, 3/4" at the bridge. Third, it's not that light in weight.
    The body is 3 piece, Maple back, walnut accent, Flame maple top. The neck is 5 piece, Maple, and Bubiga. I was very impressed with the wood. Looks like real good grade stuff. Electronics, 2 Bartolini soap bars, curved to match the neck radius. Pre-amp, Ibanez vari mid. Another nice touch is the abalone inlaid SDGR on the head stock. Oh, the head stock has a walnut accent and, Flame maple cap.
    So, I played it for a few minutes acoustically and knew it would sound great. It was very snappy and full sounding. The amplified tone was the same, very well balanced thru the spectrum. So, I bought it.
    I have played a lot of sound gears over the years, this model is far above the 800 model.
    Most of the instruments I play are all high end. Last year it was Fodera, and Spector that got me thru 230 gigs. This year started out on a Ken Smith, but due to owing the IRS more than I thought, I had to sell the Smith and after paying my taxes I had a grand to work with. The Ibanez came in just under that.

Here is a link of the bass,

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SR1000EFM&z=y

I will post a follow up after I have gigged with it a bit.

Joe

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think the Soundgear line of basses was a hit for Ibanez. The only downside was that they had slim profile necks espescially for the 5 and 6 strings. Now if they made the necks with standard 4 string spacing on the 5's and 6's that would be the best thing Ibanez ever did!

3. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I had a couple of Soundgear basses (SR400 & SR640). I liked them enough during the time I owned them, but eventually sold them off when I later decided that I preferred neck-thru basses. If this model was available when I was shopping for neck-thru's, I would probably still be playing Ibanez.

Good luck with it. Looks like a sweet bass.

4. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Do you think it'd be really easy to stain it?
    I don't like overly blonde basses...
    How much versaility do the bart electronics have?
    Does it cut through the mix really well?
    What would you say the neck thickness was similar to?(what other basses)

5. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
  6. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    i was checking out the 6 string version in the shop the other day and i was blown away at its playablity ive only ever played 4's and 5's but i could pull out tapping improvs bit tight on double thumbing but i hope your bass serves you well.

7. Hey Ozzyman,
    They do offer it in Walnut, as stated above. The finish is oil, and I think they also put a coat of wax, (butchers wax) on it as well. The finish has a real nice feel to it, similar to a new Warwick. I used it on a gig last night, and it did the job just fine, from hip-hop to funk, no problem. With the controls set flat, both the bass, and my amp the sound was a bit to scooped. I used only the vari mid knob and was able to dial in useful tones with ease.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    i love the walnut topped ones. Too bad I hate Ibanez necks :p.