1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Ibanez SR305, battery died? is it possible

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by diz97, Oct 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. diz97

diz97

Oct 26, 2017
    Just bought a new SR305 and was plugging it into an M Audio interface, it was ok for the first few weeks but now it's not sending any signal into the audio interface. Could the battery have died already? I've barely played it.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Did you leave it plugged in?

BurnOut, chip134 and pcake like this.
  3. diz97

diz97

Oct 26, 2017
    No hadn't used the interface for weeks

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    But did you leave the lead cord plugged into the bass?

5. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    what he ^^ said

leaving an active instrument plugged in engages the battery.

chip134 and pcake like this.
  6. diz97

diz97

Oct 26, 2017
    Yes but just to the bass, no amp/interface connected - but that shouldn't deplete the battery right? i'm clueless when it comes to this stuff though

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yup. Doesn't matter what it's connected to. If you leave the jack plugged into the bass than it kills the battery.

pudgychef, Duder, dalahorse and 4 others like this.
  8. diz97

diz97

Oct 26, 2017
    like I said, clueless xd thanks for clearing that up

9. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    when you put the plug in on an active bass, the "barrel" or body of the plug contacts the "ring" connector on the jack closing the 9V circuit and engaging power to the preamp. no plug in the jack= open circuit and no battery drain.

Deak, chip134 and diz97 like this.
  10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's one of the reasons I don't play active basses. I'm not a working musicians so my bass always sits on the stand plugged in. If it was active, whether the amp was on or not, I'd have to unplug it each time I put it down.

Jay2U, diz97 and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  11. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Somewhat off topic but important, when the instrument cable is plugged in to the instrument there are two other potential problems. Each is more disastrous than a dead battery. The first is tripping on the cable. People get hurt this way. The second is tripping and pulling the guitar off the stand. The number one reason for a broken headstock is a guitar stored on a stand plugged in and someone tripping on the cable. You can buy several hundred batteries for the cost of repairing a broken headstock.

12. diz97

diz97

Oct 26, 2017
    true, not to mention the cost of fixing broken limbs :oops: at least i didn't learn my lesson the hard way haha

jonlimo likes this.
  13. diz97

diz97

Oct 26, 2017
    ahhh, but this Ibanez is so pretty and sounds so good, I had to get it!! now I have a reason to get another new bass though :)

Duder likes this.
  14. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    true. a friend of mine broke the headstock off of a priceless gibson this way. it was never the same again.

15. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I witnessed a Ric 4001 lose its headstock in just that way, drummer tripping over the cord. The volume was on, so everybody got to hear the terrible sound of its demise amplified. The bass player nearly wept. My G&L L2k has a preamp on/off/treble boost, so it can be left plugged in as long as its in the off position, but I never leave it plugged in anyway. The SR basses are superb, enjoy it!

16. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    yup... left a cable plugged into the bass's output jack. This is like leaving the lights on in your car when it's not being driven.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    batteries die all of the time

18. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    that "new" battery could be years old. Hell, a new battery purchased at a store can have a 2 year old date on it.

19. If you bought it new, it's probably a SR305E.

20. Your bass being active has a Tip/Ring/Sleeve Jack, aka TRS.
    The S connects to ground as on any bass.
    The T is audio signal out as on any bass.
    The R connects to the active electronics power ground but is floating when not plugged in.
    When you plug in a TS plug the S shorts the R to S on the Jack and completes the power ground connection to the actives and turns them on. So the plug is also acting as a switch.