Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New idea for a jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayajew, May 6, 2002.

1. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm really sick of my Mexican Jazz V and its really not worth selling so I'm searching for ideas to improve it. I'm not trying to spend more money fixing it then i spent buying it. I considered replacing the bridge pickup with a MM but that'll cost way too much money. Anybody have some cheap quickfix ideas to improve a jazz bass?

2. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    What about it are you sick of? The sound? The feel? The looks?

...or do you have some GAS and need to do something to control it? :D

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I know you don't want to spend lots of cash but what about l.e.d's. New scratchplate? pick up covers? retro j pre amp? Get some nail varnish and paint funny little patterns on it (Don't recomend this.)

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    A professional setup and a fresh set of strings.

5. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    sometimes that's not a good idea. I took my carvin to the local music store to have it reset and a new set of strings on it. The guy just made it worse. First of, he set the strings too low so a breeze would make them clank against the frets. I took it back and he raised it. 2 weeks later, I break a string... brand new strings :(

So I ended up buying a new bridge (because mine sucked to begin with) and I set it up my self. Plays awesome now :)

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ahhh the beauty of Fender...everything is replaceable!

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

I'll repeat: a professional setup and a fresh set of strings.

8. Go to your local fabric/costume store and get some rhinestones... lots of rhinestones and some glue... get the idea? :)

You could also try something simple like putting flatwounds or other different type of strings on your bass for a change.

If all else fails, sell it to me cheap. I'd love a five string Jazz bass.

9. J retro preamp,Badass bridge, then new strings and a pro setup.

10. Hey, that only works for a man named Paul Stanely...:p

11. Why would rerouting for a MM be expensive? If you sent it somewhere to have it done, it might be, ask AllodoX, he just had his done. But if that is the way you want to go, and you know how to use a router, try doing it yourself. Just trace the size of the pup to the wood, and go for it. I'd suggest warming up on some scrap wood first.

The MM idea is cool, and if that is what you really want, why not give it a shot.

12. I'll second the vote for a j-retro preamp. Ya dont need new pups with that baby, it makes even the weakest pups howl. Dont need the bridge either, just the preamp and a pro setup.