1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New idea (to me) for Jazz Bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GlennW, Aug 4, 2007.

1. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I think I've made a decision. After trying a bunch of basses and pickups for a while my favorite sound I've come across has been a Marcus Miller pickup in the bridge position. I've tried five P-bass pickups and even though a couple sounded ok, they're out. The new plan is a JB neck in the regular spot and something like this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-fender-jaz...ryZ85856QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    in the bridge spot. The main pickup, the Miller, will be closest to the bridge and the other stuff will be there to enhance it. It's weird, I got an idea of sticking two J pickups together, and then I found out it's been done.

2. No volume knob? Good luck with your project, I love basses with pickup configurations you don't see to often.

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Made a little progress over the weekend - rewound the neck to 15.67K and the middle to 8K. Tried the middle in the neck and bridge positions (middle position isn't cut in the body yet) and it sounds good on its own and blends well at teh neck with the Miller in the bridge spot. I think it would get too thin with less wire so it's done for now. The neck pickup still needs tweaking.

Next thing I should do is make a big hole for the double pickup deal at the bridge, then I'll be able to get an idea of how it'll all work together. And take some wire off the neck pickup.

I might add a volume knob because of the volume increase in series.

4. Kalango

Kalango

May 9, 2005
    Brazil

You could do it without a volume pot, just by adding a resistor between the upper two poles in the switch and removing the wire between the upper left and midlle right poles. Just a suggestion...

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I think I see what you're saying, the resistor would only be in the circuit when it's in series so it wouldn't effect other positions. I like that - pretty slick. Thanks.

I'd like everything to be close to even as far as volume. Any suggestions on values?

The neck pickup is now around 9.8K - I'll try it tomorrow night.