1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New in progress VFE Mutron clone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Irtemed, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Irtemed

Irtemed

Apr 6, 2009
    I've done my research and it seems like mutron-style envelope filters seem to be well loved on TB. I've been following this brand called VFE for a while (if I could afford it now I'd get their Alpha Dog in a heartbeat), and I noticed this:

http://www.vfepedals.com/projects.html

This is a page listing Peter's brainstorming ideas and works in progress, and under the "Project List" tab, I think a lot of people would be interested in his Mini Mu. Here's a picture and the info from the website:

[​IMG]

The first edition of the Mini Mu is a simple clone of the classic Mutron III envelope filter (aka autowah). A few extras have been added, namely a passive output level attenuator and an "in between" position on the range switch. With the included charge pump, this runs on +/-9V like the original without needing a special power supply or two batteries.
    Subscribe for Mini Mu Updates

GAIN: Controls the pre-gain of the circuit, and affects how the circuit responds to the dynamics of the input signal.

PEAK: Controls the amount of resonant feedback in the filter.

LEVEL: Passive attenuator to adjust the output volume.

DRIVE: Selects between a upward frequency sweep & a downward frequency sweep.

RANGE: Selects between a higher or lower frequency sweep range.

MODE: Selects, between high pass, band pass, and low pass modes.

INTERNAL CONTROL: The internal trimpot affects how the LDRs respond to the trigger circuit. This greatly affects the sweep & feel of the filter sweep.

To give an idea of more things he does, here's a demo of the Alpha Dog, Pale Horse, White Horse, Blueprint, and Bumblebee, and here's a demo of the Pale Horse, Old School, and Alpha Dog.

A side note: on the projects page, if you go to brainstorming, you can see some more ideas he has. The bass octave fuzz looks delectable.

2. pietrocefa

pietrocefa

May 3, 2011
    This is very promising ... Tanks You for informing us

3. Irtemed

Irtemed

Apr 6, 2009
    You're welcome, I need an envelope filter, this one might be it. There are plenty of Filter Fanatics on this forum, I thought they'd appreciate it.

4. JBTucci

JBTucci

Oct 27, 2008
    KS
    these are now available for preorder! i guess these are version 2. somebody needs to try one - they're priced right. Could be a Proton killer? :ninja:

5. Irtemed

Irtemed

Apr 6, 2009
    I've found a small amount of reviews for VFE on Talkbass, but the ons that I've found are ALWAYS positive. To anybody on the edge of buying it, I say go for it.
    (as long as you tell us your opinion of it ;))

6. I had the Mini Mu for a while and it is voiced more for guitar but I did find some good settings for bass. I found the input gain to be too sensitive though and had to be set just right to get an optimal sound. since i like to use it clean and with fuzz in front it was impossible to find a setting that would work with both. made it difficult to use live, especially since our gigs don't typically allow for a lot of time to setup and sound check.

here is a clip of it. just me noodling around and playing with different settings. the dirt was a dwarfcraft baby thundaa, but i don't remeber which bass i used.

listening back, i kind of wish i kept it and experimented more with it....I have a proton on the way, I'm hopping it is not as sensitive..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  7. Irtemed

Irtemed

Apr 6, 2009
    Wow, (literally) that is actually what I'd want in a filter personally. Thank you so much for the clip!

8. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't own any VFE stuff but I almost bought one. The guy who owns the company was VERY cool and extremely helpful in answering my questions.

9. Irtemed

Irtemed

Apr 6, 2009
    Oh yeah I'm the same. I've been wanting a Distortion pedal and Peter has been AWESOME about answering any questions I have.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Peter emailed to say he'll be sending me the latest version of the White Horse for review sometime soon. :)

11. Irtemed

Irtemed

Apr 6, 2009
    Awesome! I was thinking about getting that, I need a comp and a unique overdrive would be cool.