1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Incase Slim Bag vs Sadowsky Portabag

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mashed potatoes, Mar 18, 2008.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Bumping this. After lugging my irreplaceable Dargie Bongo through the narrow passageways and steep ladders of a warship (where everything you can bump into is made of metal) during my last deployment I felt that I need to get a more robust gig bag to better protect my one off baby from bumps and dents.

After considering the Mono, Pro Tec, Sadowsky and Incase, I went with the latter mainly for the generous neck support and the protected pocket. As an avid mtn biker I like the idea of ergo straps as well.

Mono was a close second but there simply wasn't enough info about it out there.

My wife just exclaimed "$199???" in the other room. It looks like my Paypal invoice just came in :smug:

2. Molan

Molan

Dec 13, 2003
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I have to ship a new bass across the Atlantic to the UK and wondered whether any of these new breed of extra strong gig-bags would be tough enough to survive air baggage handlers?

I would plan to pack the bass in the case & then the case inside a decent quality box with additional foam padding.

The easy option would be just to get an SKB or something similar but I already have three Hiscox cases and would much prefer a quality gig bag like the InCase or Protec ones I've seen.

However, I'd prefer it even more if my bass arrived with it's neck intact!

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Got the Slim Bag today. Man is it nice. So many carry options, so much protection. The pockets aren't as generous as competing makes but you can tell that this is a gig bag first and a gadget tote second. My bass is just vegetating in luxury. :smug:

I also have a dub bag coming so I can bring three basses to the ship for my next deployment.

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Any resolution on this Roger? It's been a couple of months now and I don't really feel secure using your Portabag because the metal clips are a serious problem.

I guess I'll have to go and buy some replacement straps, bummer...

5. These two sentences are the epitome of customer service. If only more companies did what Roger & crew do.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Merely saying something isn't customer service.

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I too have had a problem with the clips on my Portabag. I ended up putting them in a vice to be sure the spring loaded latch could not get past the opposing fixed part of the mechanism. I have not had a problem with the bass falling since I usually use both straps in a back pack fashion but they did come undone. I have the original Incase Tourbag which isn't getting much use but if the new ones are anything like the old ones the construction seems to be top notch.

8. Interesting.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...num=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Protec+Contego&spell=1

9. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    The clips on the Portabag straps have been improved and we have had no recent complaints. Thanks for the feedback on Talkbass.

Roger

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Hey Roger,

Thanks for the new set of straps, I can now once again use my bag with confidence.

There's no other bag that I know of that has a front pocket larger enought to put a Boss GT-6B pedal board in. :D

11. johnp352

johnp352

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK

so umm Phil..you actually put a gt6b in the front pocket? I'd love to be able to do the pedalboard and bass in one good bag.