1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Incredible Amazing Strings that combine elements of both Nickel and Stainless Steel!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Maiden Bass, May 12, 2018.

1. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    Hey everyone, I just tested out a set of the new Skjold Hybrid Strings.
    They were recently redesigned and now come loosely coiled in a packaging similar to Kalium Strings.

I posted some info about them on this thread -
    The Official Skjold Club (Part 11)

These strings combine elements of both nickel and stainless steel, and are simply incredible!
    Also the tension is not too tight and not too loose, and they are both bright and warm in tone!

If you are still searching for your strings then you need to try these!
    You can thank me later!

Here's a link to the Skjold website if you are interested in trying them!
    Home

:thumbsup:

IMAG0709.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  2. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    "Incredible Amazing"?
    Anyone know the construction, is it nickelplated steel outer wrap over steel inner wraps (like Kaliums)?
    Interesting that another company is doing the 'loosely coiled' thing.
    What do you mean by 'tension'? The tension depends on the gauges you choose, do you mean 'stiffness'?
    Interestingly Chris, who was part of Kalium until recently, is an enthusiastic Skjold bass owner, maybe that had an influence.

Maiden Bass likes this.
  3. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    GHS Bassics have used this exact construction (nps over ss) since they were introduced.

Root 5 likes this.
  4. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007

I think it is nickel outer wrap over a steel core, but I am guessing here. I don't think Pete Skjold lists the exact specs, but only they are "Hybrids".

Call it what you want - tension, stiffness, strength, but the strings feel not too tight, and not too loose, and have a unique feel to them that I have not found before. Maybe it has something to do with the size of the core wire, but I am guessing here. Also the tone is both bright and warm. If I had to describe them, I would say they are close to Kalium Hybrids, but with just a better feel and a better tone! And I played Kalium strings for awhile.

:bassist:

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  5. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007

No offense Jon, but I have played GHS Bassics and they are not even in the same ballpark as these new Skjold Hybrid strings, not even close.

6. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    He also added 85, 105 and 130 to the available gauges (not just 80, 100, and 125 that he had before).

227651371.jpg

7. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Since I got my Skjold I’ve being quite fond of these strings. They have a real nice feel. I’ve historically liked very low tension strings that had more flexibility but I’m starting to appreciate strings with a little more tension. The Skjold Hybrids feel tight enough but still loose somehow. And they are warm but still manage to have some snap and pop. Like worn strings but still with articulation and punch.

I just popped a set on my Sadowsky Jazz and much prefer them to the Dunlop Super Bright’s I had in previously.

8. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Pure Blues?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021