Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New instrument material!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TRU, Mar 14, 2003.

1. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    "Flaxwood guitars combine the dynamics of natural fibre composites with the warmth and power of expression typical to traditional wooden instruments. "

"The rigid, humidity-resistant structure gives all the models unique sensitivity and functionality. ”Plug and play” in all types of climate. "

These guitars are made of natural composite. It's basically cotton fibre! It should combine the best qualities of graphite and wood. It is said to have even responce all over the freatboard and clear tone.

I would like to know how a 'flaxwood' bass would sound...

http://www.flaxwood.com/eng/index.php

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, it made it to the national TV news here in Finland, as it's Finnish company. According to the news, they are planning on serial manufacturing process in the future.

One of the designers is Mr. Veijo Rautia who is a well-known luthier in Finland specializing in custom guitars. I've heard from guys who have tried the protos that they were pretty punchy and had sort of naturally compressed dynamics.. Also very responsive to picking style.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    There is a class of composite materials known as high-pressure laminates. Each one is made from a fiber and a binder. The fibers include paper, cotton, and glass. The binders used include phenolic, melamine, epoxy, polyester, and silicone. Some of these combinations are familiar materials such as Formica or fiberglass. Others are more exotic.

I believe that I also once heard of one of these using linen as the fiber. Since linen is made from the flax plant, I imagine that this is what this material is.