Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New "Instrument"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Ok, so it's not an 8-string BenaConkLembicZonRayDulla USA series...

... but it is a part of my musical future and I'm looking forward to it. :)

2. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    ...Lets hear some sound clips!

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

One of those is the bass bongo, right?

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Schweet! I got a set just like that - 'cept they're red! They were a birthday present from the better half one year, along with a few other percussion toys. Sometimes we have late night jam parties at the house with some of my jazz buddies, and after a few drinks I'd rather play bongos than try to keep up with those sick pups! Maybe one day I'll learn to play 'em properly!

Maybe you can score a set of used congas next?!? :hyper:

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Blimp I dumped my bongo's when I bought this. It does everything bongos can plus more. And I find it easier to play. It's called a Darabuka (from Turkey I tink) and it's made from aluminium. It's like a mini-djembe only brighter

6. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Some very nice bongo's you got there :rolleyes:!

Andy

7. :D Actually, the small one is called the ‘macho’ and the large one is called the ‘hembra’.

Congas (rather, my preference would be a conga and slightly larger ‘tumba’) were my first choice, but they are a greater commitment because of the size and expense. Hope to own and learn congas one day. :cool:

:cool: Hey, thanks for the pic, pete!
    Wife and I own an authentic african djembe with string tensioned goatskin head. I’ll try to post a pic soon. Compared to bongos or congas, the djembe is easier to achieve distinctive tones. Never tried the darbuka, I’ll have to check one out next time I run across one. Ever hear, or try an ashiko? Another interesting sound.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Maybe but I can't be sure. I bought my darabuka after riding my bike 1000km to Melbourne just for something to do, and stumbling into a 3 day percussion festival. 5 seperate stages of non-stop percussion performers from all corners of the world. I saw/heard/played a million different drums that weekend, maybe one of them was an ashiko?

9. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Yipes!

This reminds me of "Bongo Boy" who used to show up at
    our gigs and play his bongos next to the stage...
    and wouldn't go away. (a bit retarded).

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    ... did.... you.... just call everyone who posted in this thread a "dufus" and get away with it? :)

Damn I think he did.... Very nice work FB. You're the king of Stealthy insults :)