new ipod, need help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dadodetres, Mar 7, 2005.

1. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    hello everyone! my sister just gave me her ipod cause she didt really used it.

so i passed all my cds to my pc, but when i connect the ipod to the pc via USB, the pc didnt recognized it. She has an apple, maybe the ipod is only apple compatible, can this be the problem? hod do i check is it is or not?

also, the place to connect the USB is the same to connect the AC adapter! so i cant connect it to the pc and to wall at the same time!!! i had it like 2 hours to the adapter and when i connect it to the pc it says me that it has no battery, how much time do i have to wait till the battery is full? a whole night maybe?

also, i have 2 PCs, and i need to pass all the mp3 from one to the other, so i use only 1 with the ipod, can i use the ipod as a hard drive to pass the files in .mp3 format from 1 pc to another? should the pc recognize it automatilacally?

thancks a lot!
  2. OK quick question: what gen Ipod is it?
    And: Have you installed the ipod software on your computer?
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Try using a different USB port, For some reason Windows PCs have problems recognizing certain things unless they are in a specific USB port.
  4. Will a Windows Explorer recognise an iPod as an extra drive (i.e. assign it a drive letter) or can you only squirt MP3's down the USB to it via iTunes? If the latter then you'll only "see" the iPod via their software.

Works just the same with my PDA with its SD memory card. I can't see the contents of the card via Windows Explorer even when connected via the hotsync cable. I need to take the SD card out and read it via a card-reader. I can either sync MP3's through Realplayer to the unit, or transfer them directly via the card-reader.
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The only way to put music on an iPod is through iTunes. You can use it as a hard drive, but any files transferred as data will NOT be recognized as music.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  8. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    I love my iPod. I have a 3rd generation 15GB model. I listen all day long at work. It's made the workday's go by a whole lot faster. On to some of your questions...

The ipod has to be formatted for the particular platform on which it will be used. So if your sister was using a Mac and you want to use a PC then you need to reformat the iPod to be used on the PC.

I use firewire to connect my ipod to my PC. The firewire will also charge the ipod. Not sure but I'd imagine that the USB works the same way as the firewire. FYI - the battery will charge 80% of it's capacity in 1 hour. Depending on how old the ipod is and how much it's been used it's possible that the battery needs to be replaced.

A great site for all things ipod including how to replace the battery.

Ipod Lounge

Helped me with a lot of my questions. Here is a link to the FAQ's.

You can probably use this software to transfer the mp3's from one machine to another.

Good luck and enjoy your iPod :)
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I just can't believe any of this... :smug:

So, is there a work around for the one computer at a time thing?
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yep, I use my iPod on any of my friends that have an iPod comp.

As long as they are the same operating sytem its pretty easy to make them work with several comps.
  11. yeah there are a few programs out there that will allow you to import and export while bypassing itunes.
  12. Reset the ''s still looking for the Mac. Install the software on your PC and start over.
  13. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
  14. I recently bought an iPod mini (latest generation with 18h battery life) but when I connect it to my computer via USB2 the New Hardware Found guide pops up and wants me to choose a driver. I can't find any drivers for it and if I choose cancel, iTunes won't recognise the iPod and neither will the update program. I can charge the battery through the USB2 port.

What shall i do?

EDIT: I'm using Windows 2000.
  15. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    You didn't mention it, but it's important: iPods are not generally compatible with Win98 or older. iTunes will not install on a Win98 machine.

Also: Most older computers could very well have USB prts Version 1.x. These USB ports do not carry the electrical charge that will charge your iPod while connected. Newer PC's have USB 2.0 which will charge the iPod.

Finally, if you want / need to get around all of that, there is a WinAmp plug in that will allow you to use your iPod with iTunes. But you will need an iTunes installation (perhaps a friend) to format your iPod and get you started.

Confusing. Sorry.

(I didn't even mention ePhPod, an alternative program that will allow Win98 use after an iPod has been properly formatted by a proper iTunes installation) :cool: