1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New iPod Shuffle is crappy.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  2. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
    Any iPod with less than 20Gb of space in it is not worth buying imo.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'm pretty much in agreement there. I used to have a 20 gig 4th gen, then upgraded to a Classic 120 gig when the old one died, and I'm not going backwards.

4. My 1 gig shuffle is perfect for running and working out. For a full sized ipod, I'm fine with 30gigs, even though I have over 40 on my computer. I never listen to it all anyway, I dont need to carry it all around with me.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Mark Wilson is at it again..

6. lopxtc

lopxtc

Jan 18, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Agreed ... I have the first gen memory stick style Shuffle and 1 gig is plenty of music for runs. Not to mention that at 1 gig I know I have only music on there I want to listen to when running so fast forwarding to another song (usually when its a slow paced song when I going for a second wind) will usually get me a song that Im wanting without having to look at a screen.

Aaron

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    totally agree, but i gave my shuffle to my coach's son.. i bought a Touch and it has the nike plus on it, i love it!!

i think the shuffle is a great little product for what it's intended for :)

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I like the smaller capacity units but I don't like the idea of having the controls on the headphones. What if the headphones go bad? How much will the replacements be? Secondly, Apple is not known for making great sounding headphones so with this, you're stuck using theirs. The other thing I didn't like about the shuffle was when I plugged it in, it would show that it was empty although it was loaded. If I tried to add tunes to it, it would wipe it clean and only have the new songs I put on it. I had no issues like that with my son's Nano.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1 I can't train and especially go running with these headphones, they won't stay in my ears!! Even when I go walking during my lunch hour, they fall out.

Apple did fail on this. IMHO...

10. lopxtc

lopxtc

Jan 18, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    The controls for my shuffle are on the unit, and I use headphones that I think are far better than the Apple ones and stay in my ear better when running. Since I wear the unit on my wrist changing a song is simple.

Aaron

11. That worked for the first two generations, but there are no controls on this new one. So I guess you're stuck with the headphones that come with it. I don't see how else you could control your music. It seems like they sacrificed too much to make it smaller. And seriously, its not like the 2nd gen ones weren't small enough already.

All in all, Lame. But it wasn't like I was going to buy one anyway. I'm still happy with my old one (the first one that had video)

P.S. As I'm a big Apple nerd, I can tell that since they put in the work to develop the voice (alex, it came out with Leopard) and that control thing (for the iphone and ipod touch) it was bound to end up in more products. They do that a lot with stuff. Develop a technology, etc. and then put it into as many products as they can. Oh well.

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    why they wouldn't just make a headphone extension (like say, 5" long) with a jack recepticle in line so you could retain the controls as is, but use any headphones you like is beyond me...it serves the same purpose...or does the sight of black headphone cable coming out of their product just completely nauseate them? Serious design flaw coupled with 3 gen ago voiceover nonsense is just a bad move.

Ooooh, but it looks like the monolith!
    monolith.

Does it come preloaded with the 2001: theme?

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Seems a lot more difficult to use than previous versions. My mom has a hard time with her 2nd Gen. Shuffle because of the lack of screen.

If this shows up in other models, I hope it can be disabled.

14. lopxtc

lopxtc

Jan 18, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Okay I just got to look at the new shuffle ... um wow ... apple getting into the musical suppository business now?

Man Im a fan boy as much as the next, maybe more, but I think they may have missed with this one.

I must be the only person who thought the 1st gen was probably the best design. I never bought a 2nd gen because I was always worried about throwing it into the wash because I left it clipped to my clothes.

Aaron

15. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    /thread

16. Apple headphones suck, and now you're stuck with them... Great...
    And god knows how much I hate voiceovers...

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hannah's super-cute at least.

18. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    This is getting out of hand. I can swallow an iPod.

19. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I bet Hannah can do that as well. Maybe even x2.

20. Hannah was pretty cute. Just cause she's not married doesn't mean anything. Sometimes the quiet ones are the dangerous ones.

I have a pod she can swallow.