Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New J Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zeek, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Zeek

Zeek

Mar 20, 2003
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Has anyone played on the new Fender Hwy 1 Series Jazz Bass and/or the MIM 60's Classic? If so, any opinions? Thanks.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played the MIM 60's RI & I liked it alot. I compared it to a USA 62 RI & it sounded played & felt better. The comparisions are very objective so you'd have to play them & make you're decision but I'd get the MIM over the USA if I was looking for one.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I played a 60's RI J at GC the other day and I think it's great. I really couldn't find anything not to like about it, especially in that price range. I also played a Standard USA J and couldn't see any reason to prefer it over the MIM.

4. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    are u nuts?i own one of the better crafted mex models,its been hot-rodded with all the bells and whistles, and with much money put into it it barley plats as well as an us model.the american us 1 model is just that a usa made bass,meaning better parts,p/ups,electronics and most of all better wood,see if a mex model will last 30 yrs,i/ve had mine for 2 and the neck shrank a little bit,i then had to file all the fretts off the sides of the neck,the pots got scratchy,and they couldnt handle aftermarket p-ups,i stand firm with there is no way in hell that a mex is as good as a us model,mabe a japan bass can compete depending on the year,i own one of them and it craps all over my mex bass,go see for yourself,any bass player who knows about basses will tell you to go with the us or japan model!:bassist:

5. The only thing you're sacrificing with a MIM Fender is consistency of manufacture and the quality of certain easily replaceable parts. For example, I own an non-MIJ import Fender that sounds and feels better than some MIAs I've encountered. Geezer, the problems you experienced with your MIM may be specific to that bass and not characteristic of all MIM Fenders.

I don't know much about the models you mentioned, Zeek. Keep those posts comin' fellas...

6. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    my teacher owns a music store and i live above one and i spend ALOT of time in both,my experiance with the mex's are yes,there are some good years but for the most part they fail in comparison to 90% of the usa's and all of the japan's,my mex j/bass is great,but it needed alot of time and effort to make it a solid playing bass,dont get me wrong for the money they are one of the best in the price range,but to me i would rather have the us model,and above all the japanese,i own an 87 p/j bass that smokes nearly all of the us fenders i've come across,every person who has touched it offers to buy it,i guess i just expect more from a bass ,i am a gigging bassist and i compare all others to my japanese bass,if i was to buy a new bass it would be beyond a shadow of a doubt the geddy lee japanese j/bass,or the sting p-bass,those are quality basses,i've played 10 different ones of each and every one has been as good as or better than the next,i've also played a brand new us p-bass and it stunk up the plass,on the other hand i've played a couple of fender squire japan models from the 80's that i would love to own,i wouldnt take a new squire for free that they manufactor now,what i'm getting at is i have access to 100 different basses at any given time and i have formed a solid decision on what i've seen for myself,thats all ,its cool ,you have your opinion and i'm sure you stick to it
    peace
    adam:bassist:

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Geezer, have you tried the model we're talking about?

Your bass is an '88, a notoriously bad Fender period. We're talking 2003.

And could you please write more clearly? You'll get your point across better. Thanks.

8. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I have 2 MIM Fenders and love them both. One is a 2000 jazz that plays amazing but the pickups weren't stellar so I replaced them with some Americans I found for $12 and now it plays and sounds awesome. My other is a 98 p bass that plays and sounds great. The stock pickups are awesome on this one. You just have to look around and buy a good MIM.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Who are you calling nuts? :rolleyes: YES, the MIM 60's Jazz PLAYED & SOUNDED BETTER. This is my opinion, Yopu're gonna tell me my opinion is wrong? :rolleyes: BTW, wood shrinks, that's a fact of life, it happens on alot of basses/guitars. The new MIM Standard Jazz basses have wider bridge p/u routes but any qualified tech could be able to open the hole to accept new pickups. When was the last time you had your bass set up?

I'm a basses & so are other people that recomended the MIM's. I've been playing for over 10 years . So please be more polite when you give your opinion .:rolleyes:

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I am also waiting to see the highway one series basses just to see what the difference is. I own 2 MIM p's and a MIM DLX j which I must say are excellent Instuments. My MIA stuff is made better but the MIM stuff is nothing to sneeze at. Last August I found a MIM p bass used 1999 in pristine condition for $237.00 bucks. It looked like some novice bass player owned it an did his own aweful setup, the E string was lowered all the way and the pup was lowered to allow the E string to clear it. I set the bass up myself ( it took 2 minutes) added straplocks and walla a killer bass for less than $250 bucks

11. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I had a MIM Jazz which I just sold to a friend for $150:meh: Pretty sweet deal, huh? Well, I go jam with him a lot and he's mainly a guitarist so this way I don't have to bring a bass:) Anyway, the jazz is an incredible bass for the money. Mine plays just as nicely as my Skyline JO and my USA 5string dlx. The attention to detail is lacking behind these two basses however. If I changed the pickups(sound great, but lots of buzz) and maybe filed the frets(very sharp), it would be an almost perfect jazz. The neck pocket is not very tight, but I think that's over-rated anyway(JMHO).;) Every time I go to my friends and jam on it, I want to stomp my own lips off for getting rid of it... especially for the price I did:rolleyes: And I don't think he even realizes what a great deal he got:rolleyes:

12. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    if i offended any-one especially nino i appologize,it was not my intention,your opinion is just as valid as mine. and yes i have played all the basses in question and believe that american and japanese basses are superior in GENERAL to the mim's, granted there are some years in all the models that are on the lame side,due to corner cutting,new materials and so forth,i just this wek played a 1200.00 american p-bass at daddy's music store and it was horendous!the neck finish was already flaking,the fretts were sticking out along the sides of the neck and the p/gaurd was of centered.wqhile on the other hand they had a used 99 frettles mexican tobacco sunburst j/bass that was one of the most well designed basses i've ever come across,does that make the mim's better than the us made ones as whole?if a bass is set-up correctly with the proper relief on the neck,string height and intonation at the right setting,and pick-up height and angle properly positioned then any fender made bass is a worthy bass, it's all what you prefer,so with that said i will now shut the hell up and go practice my bass(japanese p/j with di'marzio p-ups and a bad-a$$ bridge,and ivory nut)so when i'm famous you guys can say you used to talked basswith me LOL!
    sincerest appologies
    PEACE adam n

13. I've played on one of the new 60s j basses. Played very nice, and its now on my list of possible next basses :D which is getting ever longer

14. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    I have 2003 Jazz Deluxe MIM. I can say that hardware on my bass is as cheap as it was on my previously owned '83 Squier Precision MIJ.
    Although it is only one month old, bridge is already falling apart. Screws used to set action are constantly loosening as I play so I often have to re-set the action. Tuning keys don't look great, but they do their job good. Bass stays in tune even after I carry it around in gig bag I got with it.

Before I got this one, I had 1998 Jazz Deluxe MIM that (except SOUND) was like Squier. It had crack on headstock (lack of quality control in Mexico). When I was in the store, trying it, last thing that would cross my mind would be to check for some surface damage, cracks etc. on this brand new instrument. I only listened to how it sounded. And it sounded GREAT. That's why I bought it. Only later I discovered crack so I returned it and had to wait 2 months to get one I'm playing with now. This one sounds a lot worse than 1st one. Sound is harsh-not mellow at all, sustain is shorter, finish is bad (spots here and there on the body)... To get the sound I want, I'll probably have to upgrade it with new p/ups and new bridge (badass II preferably). That is about 200$ more. That + 900$ that I initially payed for it (yes, prices in Europe are "little" high) is a lot of money for me. For that money I could get far better second-handed instrument.

Problem was in music shop where I bought my Jazz. They usually have only one item of each model on stock so you can't choose between few basses. If you're buying it new,
    my advice is to carefully examine each bass, listen to how it sounds (pluged and UNPLUGED) and only then make a decision. Main problem with MIM basses is lack of proper quality control.