Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New J-Style Hannewinckel, Vin4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Mar 21, 2004.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Picked this up yesterday at Pete's. I asked Pete to build me a 4 string that would work on my more traditional gigs (i.e., backing Elvis impersonator, classic/hard rock, etc.) and I told him I didn't want it to be fancy. Since I wanted a J-style bass, we settled on a solid ash body (this one is quite light) and a three piece maple neck with bird's eye maple board. The finish is a hard poly so it will hold up well to sweating it out in the drunk pits. The pickups are passive Bartolini J's. Controls are straight-forward volume, blend and tone (cut only).

Although it's hard to tell in these mediocre pics, the ash grain actually shows through the black finish in bright light and the control cover is also wood.

It goes to rehearsal with me this afternoon and off to a gig on April 10.

So far, I'm diggin' it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Very nice. I really enjoy seeing Hannewinckel basses, I have G.A.S for the Gripen style body.

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Boogiebass,

Cool! Scored another one! Looks good, even though it's a lot simpler than Pete's usual work. How does it compare to other "Super-J's"?

Peace,

James

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, James. Yeah, I really wanted this to be a bare-bones bass compared to my other Hanewinckels. I call this one my "beater." As to comparisons with other Super J's, I'll have to wait a bit until I've had a chance to gig it. I played it at a jazz rehearsal today and was very impressed with its top-end (great slap tones) and the even, balanced sound from the lowest to highest register. The E string is quite fat, too.

So far, so good! :cool:

5. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I really dig it. These days I have a real soft spot for J-style basses with a maple fretboard and no pickguard/plates on the face of the body.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks. This one's pretty light and that shiny, black poly finish is like glass.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Looks cool man. Looks like I got something else I need to check out!

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    But what about the long-awaited Signature 7? It's coming...eventually! :D

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Definitely, bro! :bassist:

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

:spit:

;)

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You bet! It's exactly right for its intended use. :p

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A little extra info. on the bass to anyone interested: the pickups are hum-cancelling so there's no noise when you solo either. The headstock logo and side dots are inlaid with ebony dust. Pete's attention to detail continues to amaze. I've gone over this bass with a fine-tooth comb (so to speak) and can't find even a minor flaw.

14. Just a beautiful looking instrument, A simple means to communicate to the rest of the world.......

Are you comfortable talking about cost? I would love to know which ballpark you are playing in........

Cheers, Lukaas

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Hey Boogie,

Took a second look (okay, about 8 or 9 looks) and finally noticed the nut. That looks different than Pete's usual stuff. What is it, graphite?

James

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thank you, Lukaas.

List prices with the options I ordered are:

Vintage 4 Bolt-On = $1600
    Black Hardware = $100
    BE Maple fingerboard = $50
    Polyester finish on body and cover = $335

Pete's prices are a ridiculous bargain when you consider the market and how his basses stack up.

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Don't believe it's graphite, James. But yeah, it's not the normal bone nut he provides. I forget what it's called; some sort of polymer, I suppose. We just thought it would look good with the black theme of the bass! :smug:

18. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> Stunning, Boogie, simply stunning. Roger Who?????

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Looks tasty. I've always admired Mr. Hanewinckel's basses. That bass would look especially nice with other vintage colors, like Sherwood Green or LPB.

Nice score.

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, man. Yeah, we kicked around the idea of making it active with the Bart 2-band (that's actually standard on this model) but I decided to go totally passive due to the intended usage for the bass described above. I'm glad it turned out the way it did!

Also, as you know, Pete makes these basses by hand, from scratch. No CNC or even any helpers. He does send 'em out for the poly finish, however, as he's not set up to spray poly in his home/shop.