Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Jaguar or Used Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Feb 9, 2006.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

To the Group -

I am in a position where I will be soon be getting my hands on a brand-new Fender Jaguar. It's an exciting proposition to be sure but I'm not sure if it's the right move -- unfortunately, I don't have many alternatives.

That said, I'm wondering if I should keep it or sell it and buy a used Stingray (or even a Stingray SUB and pocket the difference.)

I've only been playing for a year but my primary musical style is R&B/Funk/Urban Gospel. I've gathered a pretty good arsenal of basses (see my sig) and am trying to "round out" the collection.

Since TB'ers have no shortage of thoughts/opinions, I'd be interested in hearing some of them from you guys.

Fire away!

2. GET THE JAG! You NEED a genuine Fender in your collection!

3. Man, you're picking up the instruments quick...

the Yammy AND the Bongo all in the last few weeks...

You have a bongo already...keep the Jag...oh YEAH, keep the Jag!...

a stingray would be a great addition to your family...but wait until your bongo is potty trained first :D

but whatever you do, keep the Jag!

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Stingray..

5. is your brain frozen in MusicMan Mode?

never mind, don't answer that question...;)

I would have been SHOCKED :eek: :eek: if you would have said otherwise

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    yes, but

id always choose a musicman over a fender. always.

7. Wise beyond your years Figomatic.:D

8. Well, hardly anybody really knows what the Jag is like, so the only opinions we can offer you are based on the looks of that sexy, sexy bass.

Under which criterion I say, go with the Jag.:smug:

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    This man knows of what he speaks.

I never liked Stingrays anyways.

10. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    Ditto

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    No Fender of any persuasion beats MM quality.

You only need a custom shop when your regular line sucks.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would say, given the situation, get the Jag. Obviously, in this instance, you would get the Jag either way; even if just to sell it to get the ray. Don't make up your mind until you play the Jag.

13. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i would be suprised if the jag played better than the stingray.

14. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    I've owned a StingRay and played a Jag while I was in Japan. Honestly, I didn't have the time to figure out all the switches and whatnot, but I will say that the bass was set up nicely and played very well, certainly as well as my StingRay. The StingRay has since been sold and I'm looking forward to trying out the Jag when it hits the stores.

I would suggest you wait until you get the Jag and play it before making any decision.

15. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Though I can appreciate MM quality, I would put my current MIJ jazz up with any MM instrument I've seen in terms of measurable quality. And it sounds better. ;)

16. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    My thouights on the new Fender Jag. First impressions: looked really sharp, red with matching headstock and block inlays. Acoustically it had a lot of snap, setup was great, action was med/low. I had to ask the sales pig what all the switches and knobs did. After he consulted the web I was off and running. Plugged in it sounded .... just like a Jazz (suprise). The preamp was noisey so I mostly played with it bypassed. I thought it sounded good, but I like to be able to blend the sounds of the pickups as opposed to the on/off/on configuration. Also the switches really got in the way of slapping. Overall a good bass for under 7 bills new, but, not in the same league as a good 'Ray. In a live situation my Sterling kills my Jazz hands down. Get a 'Ray now, save up for the Jazz later.

17. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'd go with the Fender Jag. Looks like an awesome bass.

18. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    +1

19. G&L. Tops both of them IMO.

20. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    IotaNet,

For someone that's only been playing a year, it seems to me that your bass collection is pretty well "rounded out" already. Maybe you should sell it and pocket the money...or buy a nice amp...you'll thank yourself later.