1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NEW JAZZ AND MINI REVIEW

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by burk48237, May 12, 2005.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    As many of you know I purchased a Sadowsky Metro RV5 last summer and it is truely "the one". I owned a Fender MIA deluxe (1999) at the time too It never quite "cut it" and hearing the difference between that an the Metro was shocking to me! Anyway I 've been looking for a back-up ever scince, and as much as I loved my Metro the one thing it wouldn't do was 70's J Fender "bark". Well LDS my favorite local bass shop/coffee bar got in this 70's RI MIJ Jazz, they called me after set up ( for those of you who shop at GC thats a crazy idea). Well I plugged it in did the necesscary test run and decide this was it. And now the review and comparison to "the one". The first thing I notices when I plugged it in to the "rig of doom"was this is a damm loud passive bass, in fact louder then my Pedulla and almost as hot of output as my Metro. Control set up is V-V-T, the bass is a little noisy with one pickup set hotter, oh well it's a passive jazz. But with the bridge pickup rolled off a little bit. the bark reighns! Playing along with "If you want me to Stay" I got a tone that would have made Larry Grahm real happy. I can get a passable Jammison running the neck pickup soloed considering it has nickle rounds. All in all it's a very good sounding bass. Now how does it compare to "the one", the biggest difference is Rogers bass has a warmer and more even across the neck," bottom", when I slap on the Metro it is solid all the way up the neck and the high notes are still round, with the Fender the slap tone is a little too up front on the higher notes. Rogers bass also has more low mid punch and will deffiently sit up front more in the mix. Is my Metro still " the one"? Most certantly but the Fender was a great priced back up and if I get a call for any Sly tunes I'm Ready! Will I buy another Sadowsky, Off course IT'S A DISEASE!!!, but for now the Fenders really cool. :D

2. Nice score man! What colors the pickguard on that?

3. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Rock and roll man. What kind/who put that bridge on there?

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I bought it used, It had a hipshot bridge and the pickguard is black. The only additional mods I'm considering are a Hipshot D tunner and to have the cavity cleaned up and sheilded.

5. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    The first thing I did on all my Fenders was to have a new nut made. It is such an overlooked, yet essential part of playability/setup.

What about a Badass bridge?