Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW JAZZ AND MINI REVIEW

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by burk48237, May 12, 2005.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    As many of you know I purchased a Sadowsky Metro RV5 last summer and it is truely "the one". I owned a Fender MIA deluxe (1999) at the time too It never quite "cut it" and hearing the difference between that an the Metro was shocking to me! Anyway I 've been looking for a back-up ever scince, and as much as I loved my Metro the one thing it wouldn't do was 70's J Fender "bark". Well LDS my favorite local bass shop/coffee bar got in this 70's RI MIJ Jazz, they called me after set up ( for those of you who shop at GC thats a crazy idea). Well I plugged it in did the necesscary test run and decide this was it. And now the review and comparison to "the one". The first thing I notices when I plugged it in to the "rig of doom"was this is a damm loud passive bass, in fact louder then my Pedulla and almost as hot of output as my Metro. Control set up is V-V-T, the bass is a little noisy with one pickup set hotter, oh well it's a passive jazz. But with the bridge pickup rolled off a little bit. the bark reighns! Playing along with "If you want me to Stay" I got a tone that would have made Larry Grahm real happy. I can get a passable Jammison running the neck pickup soloed considering it has nickle rounds. All in all it's a very good sounding bass. Now how does it compare to "the one", the biggest difference is Rogers bass has a warmer and more even across the neck," bottom", when I slap on the Metro it is solid all the way up the neck and the high notes are still round, with the Fender the slap tone is a little too up front on the higher notes. Rogers bass also has more low mid punch and will deffiently sit up front more in the mix. Is my Metro still " the one"? Most certantly but the Fender was a great priced back up and if I get a call for any Sly tunes I'm Ready! Will I buy another Sadowsky, Off course IT'S A DISEASE!!!, but for now the Fenders really cool. :D

2. Nice score man! What colors the pickguard on that?

3. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Rock and roll man. What kind/who put that bridge on there?

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I bought it used, It had a hipshot bridge and the pickguard is black. The only additional mods I'm considering are a Hipshot D tunner and to have the cavity cleaned up and sheilded.

5. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    The first thing I did on all my Fenders was to have a new nut made. It is such an overlooked, yet essential part of playability/setup.

What about a Badass bridge?