Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New jazz bass for me/Neck/bridge replacement questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, May 18, 2003.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Just snagged a used black MIM Fender Jazz off of ebay for $275.00, which normally isn't a great deal, except for the fact that it has EMG Vintage Jazz pickups and active preamp, so I'm pretty geeked.

Anyway, the reason I bought it was that I was looking for a cheap Jazz bass (one of my favorite quotes on this board was from Embellisher, who once said "everyone should own a jazz bass" - I agree ;) ) to upgrade. Fortunately, this one has already had an electronics upgrade, so I'm partly there.

Now I need to add a red tortoise shell pickguard, a decent bridge and, prefereably, a vintage Jazz neck with block inlays.

So I have a couple of questions:
    1) Has anyone else here installed a vintage jazz neck on a MIM jazz? If so, were there any problems or anything which I need to take into consideration?

2) Can anyone recommend a good, solid, replacement bridge that would not require extra drilling? Could I replace the current crappy one with, say, an older American Jazz bridge easily?

Thanks in advance.

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I just replaced a MIM Jazz Deluxe bridge with an ABM bridge. You do have to drill but that's not a big deal. The ABM bridge has lock down saddles which eliminates all potential for rattles, top string load (in lieu of feed thru), and seemed to tighten up the sound also. Here's a pic.

3. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Get a Badass II bridge. It's designed as a direct replacement and requires no drilling.

4. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Planet Boulder,
    You did not say if you bought a 4 or a 5. If you have Jazz 5 e-mail me. I have Badass II five string bridge that I don't need. You can have it for the cost of shipping.

5. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Bad Ass II - Direct replacement with no holes to drill, but you may have to file the groves in the saddles. If you get one make sure you don't buy a used one with the groves already filed in it. You don't have to file groves in it, but IMO it works better if you do since it helps with keeping the strings still in the saddle.

Gotoh 201, also a direct replacement, no groves to file, costs a lot less than the Bad Ass II, this would be your most cost effective solution.

I have one of each, the Bad Ass on a MIM P-special, and the Gotoh on an Essex BG-80, I prefer the Bad Ass II.

6. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    another vote for the BadAss II

7. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Nice! Many thanks, folks! I believe the Badass II it shall be! :D

Bass_man: Unfortunately for me, it's only a 4, but I do appreciate the offer, man!

8. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Another question: Would a Moses Graphite neck be too heavy for this bass? Yes, normally graphite is supposed to be light, but Moses necks seem to be a bit heavier from my experience.

9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I recently installed a Moses neck on my 5-string Warmoth Jazz. I don't know the weight of the Moses neck (or for that matter the weight of the Warmoth neck I took off) but I haven't noticed any balance problems at all. The body is solid walnut though and fairly heavy. The Moses neck did fatten up the tone some though and the notes are very even throughout the fingerboard.:)

10. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Sounds good. BTW, just ordered a Badass II bridge.