Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Jazz Bass from Peavey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chance6245, Jan 19, 2001.

1. chance6245

chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    There had better be something special about this Millennium Jazz Bass if Peavey wants to sell more than a few. I really like Peavey's latest US made basses, but it seems they're adding another Jazz Bass to an already flooded market.
    (Watch, I'll probably end up buying one. ;) )

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Peavey´s exclusive Quadrajust™ bridge by Hipshot™ (allowing the bass to be custom-tailored to the individual´s unique playing style without any modifications to the instrument)

...say what? :confused:

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

O-man, that means that you can adjust the string height, intonation and string spacing individually on each string, certainly not a new concept on $2000 basses or $150 bridges, but for $1100 list price basses it is pretty uncommon.

Although I never have understood adjusting string spacing. You can't adjust the width of the neck, so the effect is minimal at best.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yeah - and you can adjust intonation and string height on Fender MIM bass bridges too, no? So, what's the point, really? Seemed just like a flashy paragraph with lots of nice words to me. Like when I saw an ad for a cheap (very cheap) keyboard: "2-tone polyphony!!!"... didn't if I should laugh or cry. ;)

6. How "beep" is possible trying to call J-something-clone (by Peavey) a bass without an OFFSET body design and only because it carries two j pick-ups?

Please Peavey don't make me laugh.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    How about playing one first? I haven't played one but if they did happen to make a Jazz bass that kills for that price as an alternative to Fenders and who knows, maybe Sadowsky, Lull and Lakland... Impossible? Hardly.

Remember, lots of people laughed when Peavey announced the Cirrus line. Some are still laughing... usually people who haven't tried one.

On the string spacing tip, I have two basses where it made a world of difference. My Zon Legacy 5 fretless does not have 3/4" spacing which I like as it seems to facilitate slapping for me. My solution: Asymmetrical string spacing. I spaced the B and E closer, moved the A, which allowed for more space between the D and G. The Overall width between the B and G did not change. It's much easier to play. I did the same thing with my 84 Tobias 5.

I always look for adjustable spacing on any bass with less than 3/4" spacing.

That Peavey combo looks pretty interesting, too. Some of the Peavey bashing reminds me of the import bashing in the 70's. It was pretty funny until people saw that the people who drove Hondas and Toyota got better mileage and seemed to have much fewer problems than the "good" cars. The same is happening with Korean gear. Of course anyone is free to laugh at or dismiss Peavey out of hand. Ultimately it's their loss.

8. I certainly think the pickup configuration of the bass does far more to defining whether something is a "Jazz" style bass more so than if it has an offset body or not! It's not supposed to be a clone - just a J inspired bass.

It looks rather nice to me, and I'm sure it sounds great. I have a Peavey Axcellerator, and it's a fine bass.

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    They look more like a Carvin than a Fender jazz.

10. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I dunno, the pickup spacing looks kinda wide, and the bridge pickup seems reeaall close to the bridge. It may sound great, but I bet it doesn't sound anything like a Fender.

That combo looks bitchin' though - a poor man's (?) Super Redhead. 350 watts with effects! If it ends up retailing under a grand (and weighs less than 200lbs), they're going to fly out of the stores.

11. LvHooters

LvHooters

Sep 20, 2000
    Its got the Body of a Cirrus and a different Head.
    The Cirrus has the same string Adjustments...Height and Lateral.The 4 lists from $1100-$1600 and the 5 lists from $1400-$1800 figure 75% would be actual sale price.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I could be confused but what do people consider an "offset" body?

BTW, you're right, lump. The pckups do look wide and the bridge pickup is close to the bridge. It has active pickups. It's also 35" scale. I know that before I'd even guess what it would sound like...I'd play one;)

I could also guess that with all of the built-ins including modeling, that the BAM combo will be as useless as the Roland DB500. I won't:D

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mistaking that hipshot bridge for not being significantly better than a bent steel one could be a mistake too.

Drop in string loading, more mass. But with the combination of that bridge and the pickup placement, it probably doesn't sound quite like a Jazz. I wonder which one sounds better?

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Brad -

When you jack around the string spacing like that, doesn't that make it harder to play for the people to whom you lend it? Just curious.

15. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    The Peavey Jazz looks a-lot like the G-bass. I can't wait to play one. If it plays and sounds anything like the G it's gonna be a great bass.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You're probably joking, Munji, most people wouldn't lend a Zon or original Tobias out but...

I've let lots of people play all of my basses. One thing that didn't surprise me was that until I told people what I did with the spacing they didn't even notice it. Not one person. They just commented on how extremely easy each bass was to play.

I realized that the strings I like to get my fingers between are the upper ones, so my setup just makes sense for me. On the wider basses I like the spacing uniform between the strings, not the string centers.

17. Hi Brad,

I'm laughing about the skill of Peavey's marketing men, not about their products quality I know it's good.

These people could do better.
    This is probably what English people call understatement.

Despite quality, how many Cirrus has been sold until now?

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    A bunch.

I agree, their marketing leaves something to be desired. They mention action pickups twice in the list of features:D

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

Munji-

Maybe that's the idea! you make the bass so unplayable to others that no onw will want to borrow it!

Will C.:cool: