New jazz bass (Mayones/Atlier Z/ Fender)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DylanSK96, Jun 15, 2021.

1. DylanSK96

DylanSK96

Dec 4, 2019
    UK
    I am looking into buying a new bass these next few weeks, I am looking at getting a 5 string jazz style bass. I am looking for something that gets close to the Marcus Miller slap sound and something that can do the whole Japanese rock bass tone (in the lines of ZUTOMAYO)
    I am looking at spending anywhere between £1k-2.5k The obvious choice is a fender I have a MiM 4 string that I love however I have played a few MIA and I chose the MiM over them due to the playability, so not sure that’s my top choice. I am currently looking into a mayones jabba classic 5 which is up for sale for £1500 which I like the look of and seems like it suits what I want to do however they have none near me to try and I can’t tell from videos if they are a lot less bright and snappy than the fender jazz.
    If anyone has any experience with the mayones it would be great to hear your experience and if they can get the sounds I’m looking for or if I just need to keep trying fenders, and also if anyone has any other recommendations that would be possibly better (similar to Sadowsky, Lakland)

Thanks in advance

Dylan

jd56hawk likes this.
  2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    It's up to you what you like. I've been through Sadosky, Mike Lull, Lakland and many others. I gave up and stocked up on Fenders.

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Plenty of non-Fender Jazz basses available. I recently bought a very nice Bacchus Woodbine because I wanted something special. If I was looking for a 5-string bass, I'd jump on this.
    The Turbo switch gives it just a bit extra.
    uvxyw0qy95krwtzz7lju.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  4. DylanSK96

DylanSK96

Dec 4, 2019
    UK
    I did have my eye on a Bacchus they look lovely guitar den have them In grey and gold that I am very tempted by

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Glad I bought mine...waited four or five years for it.
    Whole lot of bass for $1,000.
    Buddy of mine tried it out recently, Fender fanatic through and through, and he couldn't put it down.
    FB-IMG-1620428985076.jpg

6. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    Played Atliers and Mayones in search for a dream bass. Workmanship on the Mayones is stunning but I found the tone a little boxy and couldn’t really gauge what I would use it for. It was at a guitar exhibition so it was too noisy to judge properly (got a bad vid of me playing one somewhere. Will pm it to you if you want). The Atlier I remember was a bit heavy and uninspiring. Well made though. In the end I got a fender Ultra PJ. There was no contest for me.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021