New jazz bass or Fender P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jerikl, Apr 23, 2005.

1. jerikl

Jul 20, 2003
    I currently play (when I say play, I really mean practice) on a rather cheap Yamaha bass with p-style pickups. It's fine, but it definitely has it's problems. I'm looking for a better bass to practice with. I'm more interested in jazz music at this point, so I'd like to get something that will facilitate that interest. Thing is, there is fairly good deal on an excellent sounding Fender P-Bass up at a local music store. Full, round tone... it's incredibly nice.

Would a Fender P-Bass ever hold up in a jazz setting? Should I go specifically for a jazz bass? If so... what kinds? I'm looking for around the $500 price range but I definitely don't mind spending more for a good instrument that's going to last.

I think I need some hand-holding here :) I tried doing a little searching, but I was surprised when I didn't find similar posts immediately.
  2. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    If you have narrowed your choice down to a Jazz or Precision, I say try em both and pick the one you think feels and sounds the best. Either bass will do imho.
  3. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Well, there is no such thing as Jazz players plays Jazz basses :) It depends on the general sound of the band. Precisions with flatwounds produce a very nice uprightish sound. And you know when it's about jazz, uprightish is good.

I'd rather pick Jazz but that's me...
  4. louelou

Apr 20, 2005
    I say go with a jazz bass. Either the 60's reissue, or the geddy lee. The geddy is more expensive but well worth it for the neck alone.
    If you feel the pbass body is more comfortable for you, I would try to find a pbass special, which also has a jazz pickup at the bridge. This years only comes with active pu's, but you may still be able to find a 2004, which has passive pu's.
    I've played all 3 and they're def worth a look.
  5. fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    Pick the one that feels right for you. Personally I like the tonal options on the j-basses. Also, more comfortable for me to play (thinner neck and the p'up screws on the side of the p'up, not the top - better for me as a finger rest on top of the j p'ups)
  6. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I play both a precision and a jazz-style Carvin in jazz settings. I generally like the clarity and lower-midrange presence of my Carvin more these days. However, I use the precision every day at school for practices. (We recently had a guitar, drum set, nice cymbals, and the bigger, yet crappier-than-the-small-Yorkville, bass amp stolen, so I don't bring the Carvin around.) Both have a great sound for jazz, it just depends on how versatile an instrument you want to get. A precision to me has just one sound (electronically speaking, that is; you can always PLAY it differently, same with any bass), yet a jazz can do a lot of sounds very well.
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Jazz Bass will give you much greater versatility regardless of the genre you play. There's nothing like the growl of a J-bass on that bridge pickup. Get a Jazz.
  9. Fuzzbass

A single-coil neck pickup cannot duplicate the punch of a split-coil P-bass pickup. If you get a PJ bass, you can get punch and growl.
  10. JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    +1 But I think that P/J is a totally different sound than P and J.
  11. Fuzzbass

IME, a PJ can duplicate the P-bass sound simply by soloing the P pickup, and you can get Jaco-style burp by soloing the J pickup. But you're right, a PJ bass doesn't duplicate the sound of a J-bass with both pickups on.