1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new jazz bass project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mellowgerman, Apr 30, 2015.

1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    It has been quite a while since I've made a project thread, but I came across this jazz bass and it had project written all over it.
    I found this jazz bass when I was in between basses, just looking for a cheapie to play on. In any case, here was a gorgeous fender jazz hanging on the wall... maple fretboard and a perfect pearl finish. I picked it up and it played great too. Wasn't blown away by the tone, but it had roundwounds and stock pickups so there's a lot of wiggle room in terms of easy mods there. So, even though an MIM jazz was a bit more expensive than what I was originally looking to spend that day, I scooped it up.
    After taking it home, putting flatwounds on it, and allowing the strings a couple weeks to break in, I still didn't love the tone. It was okay, punchy and all, but it lacked that thumpy thickness that I usually like to hear. I'm definitely a neck pickup guy, so I got to thinking what I might make a good replacement pickup? After taking off the pickguard, I realized this bass had the dreaded swimming pool cavity for the neck pickup and the circle CNC hole. The cavity now opened up a whole new realm of possibilities for easy pickup swaps of different shapes and sizes. I debated a thunderbird pickup; I've always loved thunderbirds, but I always liked them best with both bridge and neck pickup dialed in so I kept thinking. Then I remembered the lace alumitone pickup, which I had a brief bit of time with when I installed one in a friend's bass. I've always been intrigued by low impedance pickups, so I figured it would be a good candidate. Hopped on the TB classifieds and there it was, a used alumitone for a killer price.
    Fast forward to the following photographs. Just put the pickup in, no routing required (just four small mounting screw holes) and I really am digging it. Plays well with the stock jazz pickup too. And on a side note... the CNC hole is a perfect fit for a Hendrick's gin cork bottle cap.
    0430151415_zpsvi9fqjyy.
    0430151417a_zpsbtsoqdpr.
    0430151418_zpsdwjh9ulc.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    Arvin likes this.
  2. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    Why does it look like the bridge pickup is crooked?

3. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Doesn't look crooked to me in person, so maybe it's just the angle or the cell phone camera

4. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    huh, weird! It looks really cool nonetheless! Id love to hear what it sounds like with that Alumitone pickup. Any chance you could record a clip for us?

5. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'll see what I can do. I'm actually in the process of moving right now. Staying with family for a stint before the new place is all ready. I don't have any actual recording hardware with me at the moment, but there are a few different computers and other devices around. Maybe I can make it happen when I get some free time.
    I love the tone with the alumitone all the way up and the bridge pickup dialed in about half way. Similar to a general jazz tone, but much richer and thicker. Solo'd the alumitone almost does a hybrid between a P-bass and the pickup in the Jack Casady signature bass I used to own, which was killer as well.

6. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    Bravo! That is seriously cool -- "thinking outside the box" cool. I like it.

7. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    this just in
    IMG_20150511_212650_zps3k0m2v93.

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Oh Hell Yeah!!!

-robert

mellowgerman likes this.
  9. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    here's a better shot, saturated in morning light
    IMG_20150512_123659_zpsuwd1fprs.

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I really like the "Take-No-Prisoners" vibe! Can you give a run down on the control layout?

-robert

11. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Glad you dig it!
    Compared to some of my projects in the past, this one is pretty simple. The two knobs on the added 51 p bass control plate are for the Dimarzio Will Power humbucker in the neck position; volume and a coil taper control, which essentially allows me to blend the pickup from single coil to humbucking. Then the other three knobs on the stock jazz control plate are exactly what you would expect, volume for the middle position Alumitone pickup, volume for the bridge jazz pickup, and a master tone control.

12. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Here are some more recent photos -- one being a cool artsy shot featuring Calviné François my pooch and the other being the most up-to-date picture as you'll notice the 3-way selector switch instead of the knob in the artsy shot. Current control setup is as follows: volume for the Dimarzio WillPower neck pickup, mini-toggle selector for the Dimarzio (coil 1, both coils parallel, coil 2), master tone control, volume for quarter-pounder scpb pickup, and the 3-way stereo output control switch. No volume for the jazz pickup as I'm not really a bridge pickup guy and always just have it on full or off. The output switch in the up position runs Dimarzio and SCPB through one jack and bridge jazz through the other jack, middle position runs all three pickups through both jacks, down position runs Dimarzio and SCPB through one jack and all three pickups through the other jack. Most of the time I have it in the up position for a clean Dimarzio/SCPB signal and to run the bridge jazz through a fuzz pedal and a volume pedal so I can blend in a nice sizzly fuzz signal in on top of my nice fat clean signal.

IMG_20150609_181541. IMG_20150716_163036.

13. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Fantastic. One of the most badass mod projects I've seen on TB. Thanks for sharing it.

mellowgerman likes this.
  14. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
  15. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    :vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::rollno::rollno::rollno::rollno::rollno: