1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Jazz bass weird string problem.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wildebassman, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Here's the story, I bought an American Standard 3ts replacement body and a american professional rw replacement neck. Used all Fender stuff and basically have made my own American pro bass.
    The bridge is the older american standard style. Had the bass stringed up and checked by my trusted luthier, everything was okay.

I had my first pair of strings toploaded and the bass really sang. Ordered a d'addario super long set to use on the thru body bridge. Strung het up and...the E string is as dead as a stone, no sustain at all, all other strings sound great. Checked set up, intonation, the likes but to no avail, what is going on?? Any clues?
    20191207_150048.jpg

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    You can use regular long on that.

Make sure when you string up you turn the tuner rather than wrap the string around the tuner. Thru body the ball end cant spin so you end up with a twisted string.

3. Hmm, so I don't need super longs then? Didn't know about the twisting either...but could this cause the dull sound and shorter sustain?

4. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    If the string is twisted yes

One Way, Artman, mc900ftj and 2 others like this.
  5. Yes it makes sense. I had the string taken off and the old toploaded one on again to compare. Then I have put the other on again and it broke. I am ordering new strings now and will follow your advice.

dkelley and Aqualung60 like this.
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    I was going to suggest just undo the string from the tuner, lay it across the fingerboard, and then turn the tuner.

Just get a single E string. Readily available.

MoeTown1986 and Artman like this.
  7. Yes I know, but I need some more sets as backup for my Pbass too and the sets I can have delivered by tomorrow.

8. The Deep

The Deep

Jul 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    To expand on this good advice, be sure not to pull the ball end into the seated position before winding. Leave an inch or two of slack at the ball end and allow the action of turning the tuner to bring the ball end into the seated position.

This is a little extra insurance against string twisting.

fhm555, moreblues, interp and 9 others like this.
  9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    /l\THIS!

I have never known any other way of stringing a bass.
    I have never wound the ends around the post by hand.

I feed them through the bridge,cut the excess,and wind with a key turner.

10. Thanks for your input!

11. This is great. I never heard or thought of this. I love it when I learn something new after 50+ years of bass.
    Makes time on TalkBass worthwhile.
    Thanks.

Gerben, dkelley, BEADG63 and 5 others like this.
  12. slagbass

slagbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    The only issue I can see with doing this (on a bridge such as the one pictured in the OP) is the possibility of doing some damage to the finish below the bridge as the slack is taken up and the ball end moves across the finish. If that is a concern, a strip or two of painter's tape below the bridge should provide protection.

There is a possibility that the string may be bad but I agree that a twisted string is the more common and easier to fix issue that would cause a string to sound dead.

13. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    For reference, my American Standard Jazz does not benefit from loading the E string through the body. It sounds better top loaded, and best with a top loaded E with tapering. That is the string that moves most freely, and especially the open E + F and F# sound best like that.

Tommy V likes this.
  14. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    Great information, I’ve never even thought about it, probably because I’ve always been doing it the correct way without even realizing it.

gebass6 likes this.
  15. Great information, thank you all for chiming in.

16. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Me too!

17. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax Florida
    I'm not sure I understand.
    Who would coil the string around the post and not use the tuning key for winding the string in place.
    What an I missing here?

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Some people anchor the string and give it a full wrap around the peg before they start to turn the tuner key. It’s more a guitar thing. But lately some bass players are doing it too. And you shouldn’t.

Rabidhamster, rollie 55 and gebass6 like this.
  19. Imho I've never heard string through sound or sustain any better than top loaded in my own playing.

I HAVE experienced string through playing WORSE than top loaded, because it's much harder to do. Have to bend string around bridge saddle... after it's at pitch..... have to avoid twists....

And for installation, you can't easily wrap string around tuner first because of the rotation side effect and the fact that you have to go through bridge first...

So I wouldn't bother unless you like the look enough (it does look cool lol)

20. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax Florida
    Thank you for the explanation.
    I am doing it right.
    The only string I’ve had trouble with installing and sounding right is recently with an Ernie Ball cobalt flat and the are sending me a new string in replacement.
    Pretty sure the error was not on my part during installation.