1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Jazz bass weird string problem.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wildebassman, Dec 8, 2019.

1. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It happens every so often. And you correct about it not always being the player’s fault. Sometimes it is just a bad string. :)

MynameisMe likes this.
  2. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Fenders, in the universe of 34 inch scale basses, have the need for the shortest E string - the geometry of the Fender headstock is such that the ideal E string winding length is shorter than most other basses. Add to that the fact that most string makers are trying to make string that work on both 34 and 35 inch scale instruments by adding winding length, and a lot of times, you end up winding the fat part of the E string around the tuner. Folks will tell you that's either a deadly sin or no big deal - there'a lot of difference of opinion on that.

One thing that really helps (should you decide you're in the camp that doesn't like winding the fat part around the tuner post) is having a bridge that does string through - that uses up an inch more string, which usually makes up for the longer winding length on modern strings. I have string through provisions on all my Fenderish headstock instruments for at least the E string, if not all 4 (you don't really need it on the other strings).

3. Oh okay, I did end up with the fat part of the string on the tuner post with the super longs. I will get a new set today, regular longs, I hope all will work out now. Thanks for all the input folks, very informative!

4. Okay, put on a new e string, took utmost care to keep it straight and tuned up the bass and....voila!
    Sounds great with good sustain, a lesson learned, thank you all!

gebass6 likes this.