Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Jazz bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AMJBASS, Sep 11, 2002.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, I've been away for a while, and I've got some new toys! I am playing in a Latin/Funk band, and I was looking for another bass with a bit more bite than my Warrior. I ended up buying an Fender American Jazz bass. It is the best sounding passive Jazz I have heard(for a new bass anyways:) ). Deep lows, and a crisp high end. I don't know, but there was something about this one that had an edge over the other Jazz basses there.

It has an Alder body with a Rosewood fingerboard. A combination I was not looking for, but like I said, it sounds fabulous! I wanted a swamp ash with a maple board for the Funk tunes we play, but this one has a great sounding high end. Acoustically it is one of the best basses I have played. Amplified, it has great lows, but the high end was a bit too shrill sounding. I bought a pair of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups, and it sounds great now! They made a big difference. Deeper lows, and a much smoother high end. Anyways here she is:
    [​IMG]

2. Congratulations on the new Jazz!!

:cool:

I love your whole setup for Latin/Funk - the walkabout with Aggies must give mucho mid-punch-growl with those DiMarzios.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You must be the first one I've heard complaining about shrill highs on a Fender Jazz, but hey, it's your ears not mine. No matter what, they still rock!

What other Jazzes did you try? Did you try any of the "boutique" names, like Lull, Sadowsky, and so on?

4. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't think the stock pickups sounded bad, but they aren't as smooth sounding or "glassy" in the high end as the Dimarzio. It just happens that this Jazz bass has such a nice low end, I had to buy it. Very punchy sounding rig!

I didn'y have the cash for a Sadowsky, though I would have loved to own one!

I forgot...I ordered a nice tortoise shell pickguard to replace the white. It should look pretty sweet!

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Nice, congrats. I like the look of tortouse shell on a sunburst finish. I also like the aged (mint Green) on Sunburst as well.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Fender Jazz basses are work horse basses.. they do it all.. too bad I've never owned one...

7. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Nice! I use a similar setup. A WT-400 into 2 GS112's. I'm about to change the stock pups in my Jazz and really thought about the Ultra's, but will probably end up going with original '62's since I play modern blues.

I too find the highs a hair harsh with the stock pups and roll back the tone some on them.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I love the sound of my MIZ Jazz V. Passive Jazz = great sound. Nice bass, congrats. It's beautiful. I like the white pickguard though.

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Made in... Zimbabwe?

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  11. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    :( It turns out my Jazz bass has a problem with the truss rod.:mad: I don't have time to wait for the problem to be fixed, or to order a new bass, so I am strongly considering a Marcus Miller Jazz bass instead. It is Olympic white, which I wasn't really looking for, but it is a great sounding bass. I'll take pictures when I get it.