1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    :hyper:

I took a ride out to Sam Ash tonight wanting to tryout the new Vintage Modified basses and I ended up walking out with a really nice Standard Jazz in Sunburst with a white PG and Rosewood FB. It has flats on it and its a 2011 model. Got it on a closeout. I was offered the 2 year warranty by I passed. I came with a little plastic bag containing two little allen keys, not the T type and some litter-ature. I believe that the nut could use a little bit of a filing and the truss rod can be tightened. might tighten it tomorrow but I wont touch the nut. And I also got the miserable fender gig bag. If I keep her, Im buying a case. If I buy the case I'm moving my G&L SB2 out to fund it all.

2. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    sweet is this this your first jazz? i purchased my first ever last month and it was a MIM deluxe.

3. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I had a Marcus Miller about 9 years ago but I did not like it then. I was hung up on the lack of tone control and the look of it. The wood and the neck looked fantastic, just the Pg and all of the plastic. I cant wait to spend some time with it and take it to practice and listen to how it sits in the mix.

4. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    If you hate the look of the pickguard (as I did also) you should have another made. Mine has a koa pickguard in place of the black pickguard that comes with the Marcus Miller. It makes it look extremely flashy. Too bad I'm selling it (only because of the skinny neck...other than that I love the damn thing.)

Here is a picture of my MM Jazz:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=280287&d=1343354334

:D

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    @ youngspanion
    welcome onboard the "Jazz bass enthusiasts"... I'd play whatever degree officer if not the Captain in person!

ah... and great avatar is yours...

I taught myself rough of american football basics watching NY Jets matches on tv back in the '70s (the then private owning tv tycoon Mr. Berlusconi was a Jets supporter... and he still is just don't tell Pittsburgh's Obama...)

@ aasti
    I thought about a clean pickguard on a MIJ Marcus Miller... do you think is too routed to be exposed?!

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    You know the rule. No pics, no new bass! :)

7. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Ya beat me to it +1

8. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Wallace - Since I'm a newbie, you'll have to explain what "too routed to be exposed" means. LOL Still learning all this bass terminology.

9. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Translation - is there a massive hole cut in the wood that a regular pickguard wouldn't hide?

10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Congrats! I just posted my thread about the similar one I just got. Mine has a maple neck (my favourite look). I hope this bass is everything you want in a Jazz bass.

11. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    or rather:

is there a hole cut in the wood too massive, let a regular PG alone, to be seen not looking uglier than the already terrible original PG?!

Cheers,
    Wallace

12. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Oh....That would be a definite YES! I put in fresh new batteries and when I pulled the wood of....big hole. I guess they had no choice.

13. Pics?

14. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Actually, the pick guard is in 3 pieces. The normal jazz pg, then a second, and then a 3rd square shaped piece. A luthier could probably match the natural wood of the bass and cut out the shapes of the 2nd and 3rd pieces and use that to cover the hole. Just a thought...I figured from a distance it would look a regular jazz bass.

15. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    The current Fender website says that the screws to raise the saddles are Imperial but the ones on my bass are 1.5mm metric. Why would this be?

16. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    OK

Attached Files:

17. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    Nice. The white isn't bad, but I'd go with either a black or tort PG.