Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Jazz Club - Louisville Gigspam

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Hey all. There's a new jazz club opening up in town, a really nice place in the Glassworks building (8th and Market) called "The Jazz Factory". It's kind of an upscale place with a nice 7' Yamaha grand and good sound system, nice stage, good food, etc. The music will be a mix of local, regional, and national talent.

Upcoming shows in which I'm participating (in case anyone in the area cares to stop by) are:

April 17, 18 and 19: Harry Pickens Trio - great pianist in all styles. With Jason Tiemann on drums.

April 24: E Trio - Todd Hildreth on piano and Jason Tiemann on Drums. Geared toward a Jarrett trio kinda vibe.

April 25-26: Sonny Fortune Quartet - with Steve Allee on piano and Colby Inzer on drums. With Sonny, it's anybody's guess, but Steve and Colby are counting on an open "Coltranesque" kinda vibe.

That's it for April. I'll add to this in May, but I'd like to mention that The Lynne Arriale Trio (with Steve Davis and Jay Anderson) will be playing there in May 15-16, and I'll be there at the front table checking out both shows

If anyone comes by, please hook up and let's hang! I've yet to meet another TBer on a gig, and would like to start soon. More details as they roll in....

2. I'd love to drop by -- what's Louisville, about a half-hour drive from Wisconsin?

Sounds like a terrific venue -- hope it stays around for a long time.

I'm jealous that you'll get to see Lynne Arriale. Closest she's coming to my town is Minneapolis, which is about a 5.5 hour hike.

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Go get 'em, big guy!

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, me too. Normally, I'm kind of the second call in town behind Tyrone Wheeler, but he's tied up on a steady gig, so I'm getting all the calls for the touring acts that are passing through. Fine with me!

5. Dude, you're backing Sonny Fortune? SWEET!

Has he asked you to double, or is it going to be an all-REALBASS affair?

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

It's all REALBASS as far as I know. But if he wants me to double, I've got my new iamp 800 rig and the old Smith 6 to fall back on, so I feel like I'm covered as long as I can remember which ****ing string I'm playing on when I start a tune on the Smith.

And speaking of the woodshed....

7. Fortune's been on a serious Monk kick for the past ten years, if memory serves. You might want to brush up on the monastic literature.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Update on the Lynne Arriale shows - The cover for both nights is $20, but that gets you seated for both shows. The details are:

May 15 (Thurs.) Two 75 minute shows, 8 and 10 P.M.

May 16 (Friday) Same show length, but shows start at 9 and 11.

If you're interested in seeing either of these shows, I'd recommend getting a reservation pretty soon, as the club was turning people away this past Friday and Saturday...which is not to place Harry on a lower plane than Lynne, but he's living here at the moment and will be appearing regularly, while she's only passing through.

Edit - here's a link to the website:

http://www.jazzfactory.us/main.html...MFJ5CITY1DW4P68YVQLYQQX6NIC3SU&uaction=C&ca=2

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If anyone's still reading this, I just found out last night that the Fred Hersch Trio will be playing on Monday, May 12 at the Jazz Factory. You won't find that info on the website because this is a Louisville Jazz Society event. If anyone's interested, let me know and I can hook you up with a contact # for tickets and information.

This is great for me, as I get to see two of my favorite trios from the front table right in front of the bass within the span of one week. WooooHooooo!

10. That does it. I'm moving to Louisville.

On second thought, nah. There are already too many bass players there.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    May 29-31: "Killer" Ray Appleton Quartet - with Jamey Aebersold on sax, Steve Allee on piano. (Ray, of course, is the drummer)

12. Chris:

How's about a review on the week of piano trio heaven supplied by Hersch and Arriale et al??

13. WOW! All that group needs is a good bassist.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    It was an incredible week for music here. Fred's trio was amazing in a very "ESPlike" way, very loose, and you never knew where anything was going to go. Especially impressive was their version of "The Peacocks", which Drew had to actually read (they hadn't played it in forever, it seems). They took it to mars, then brought it back down to earth.

Lynne's group was equally great, but in a very different way: there was a lot of heavily arranged material which was executed flawlessly, and then the solos opened things up. It was my first time hearing Jay play live, and that was a treat. He's a super nice guy as well, very humble and accessible, which belies his somewhat formidable appearance. I was also pleased to note that he played with his eyes closed the entire time, even though he was playing a borrowed bass -this is something I've been working on, communicating with sound alone without the visual aspect, and it's great to see that it can be done and done well.

I can also highly recommend the new CDs from both trios. I'll report more on those when I've had more spin time.

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    ...and I'll be working really hard to make sure they get one.

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Better late than never:

This Thursday through Saturday (July 24-26), Java Men (my original group) will be playing at the factory. We'll be premiering a fair amount of new material, and are looking forward to playing in a true "listening" environment. A student of mine told me that the Friday show was sold out, but I see no evidence of this at the website ( www.jazzfactory.us ).

In August, I'll be playing four nights as my first homestand as an "official" member of the Harry Pickens trio. The last weekend we did at the factory went so well that Harry named Jason Tiemann (drums) and old DURRL as the official working trio, and said that he hopes to record a couple of live CD's there in the coming months. We'll see. In any case, Jason and I are feeling very excited and blessed to be working regulary with a musician of Harry's caliber. As far as I'm concerned, the man is a great musical genius. Here's the blurb on Harry from the Jazz Factory website:

"Those who have met the great pianist Harry Pickens, will tell you that he lives, breathes and exudes the essence of jazz. He's performed internationally with jazz legends Dizzy Gillespie, James Moody, Milt Jackson, Freddie Hubbard and Joe Henderson, as well as top players from his own generation, including Kenny Garrett, Ralph Peterson and Wallace Roney. In addition to being a gifted musician, Harry is an eloquent spokesperson for the music. His trio performs with uncanny vigor and gusto. A true delight. Sets at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. Wed.-Thurs. 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Reduced price sets Wedneday and Thursday. "

Shameless promotion? Sure. :) But if you can't be shameless among friends, where can you be shameless?

17. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    The Jazz Factory is an excellent club. I was there on a Friday night after attending Jamey Aebersold's Jazz Workshop to see John Fedchock on trombone, Frank Smith on bass, and Steve Barnes on drums. I can't remember who was on piano. The group put on an amazing show. Frank Smith is such an intense player that he was soaking wet by the end of the first set.

At any rate, the club has a great atomsphere with some funky looking martinis. I think it is smoke free but I could be wrong. The sound was great where I was but then again, I was only five feet from the stage. :) If you're in Louisville, check it out.

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This week, Wed-Sat., August 13-16, I'll be with the Harry Pickens Trio at the Factory. The club is indeed smoke free, and the martinis do indeed look funny (I quit drinking many years ago, so I can't tell you how they taste). Shows for Wed & Thursday are at 8:00 and 10:00, Fri. & Saturday are at 9:00 and 11:00. I hear tell there's a picture of the trio up on the website at www.jazzfactory.us ...I'll go check it out and see if that's true.

EDIT: Nope, just a picture of Harry. And before anybody asks, no, that's NOT a toy piano he's playing - Harry's 6' 10". :)

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    More DURRL Gigspam from the heartland - all dates at the Factory:

Mar. 18-20
    Harry Pickens Trio
    w/ Jason Tiemann on drums

Mar. 25
    Java Men
    Todd Hildreth - Piano
    Craig Wagner - Guitar
    Paul Culligan - Drums

April 1
    Matt Lawson Quintet
    Steve Schmidt - Piano
    Jason Tiemann - Drums
    Jacob Duncan - Alto

April 2-3
    Ben Monder Trio
    Again w/ Jason Tiemann on Drums. I'm looking forward to getting my *** kicked on this one. :)

April 9-10
    Madeline Eastman Quartet
    Randy Porter - Piano
    Steve Davis - Drums

For more info, check out www.jazzfactory.us . SPAM OVER!

20. Looks like your the bull-goose bass player down in those parts. Must be nice to have the (well-earned) opportunity to play with those folks.

I see that the Lynne Arriale Trio will be playing there 4/23-24. Would be a shame is something should *clearsthroat* HAPPEN to Jay Anderson and they need a last minute replacement.

The Trio is swinging up to Milwaukee (finally) May 7-8, at which point I'm hoping to get with Jay for some learnin'.