Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New "Jazz" Releases...AND RE-ISSUES

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JimK, Aug 23, 2001.

1. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "OK", I don't start a whole lotta threads; my Zawinul thread got, like, 4 hits...whatever. ;)

For those interested-
    Alan Holdsworth's '80s EP, Road Games is finally available on cd. I've had this on vinyl for the duration...Jeff Berlin plays some very convincing stuff on this recording.
    Bruce, you'll dig the SOLO on "Water On The Brain, Pt. 2".

Another re-issue I just picked up is We Want Miles...it's from Miles' '80s electric period with Marcus Miller, Mike Stern, Al Foster, et al. It's LIVE & raw...IMHO, better stuff here than on, say, MM's recent M-Squared.

The Dave Holland 5-tet's Not For Nothing is definitely worth a few listens. Drummer Billy Kilson is baaadddd! Robin Eubanks plays some nasty Free Boppish SOLOS(that's for Bruce)on the trombone...Holland interacts superbly(as usual).

My copy of the Miles' Fillmore "lost 5-tet" is enroute!
    ...if not tomorrow, then(sigh)Monday! ;)

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You wanna know what really pisses me off?! It's when people come in here telling me about MORE great music! Now, I need to go spend money I DON'T HAVE! This is precisely why I don't talk to Ed anymore. I spent weeks finding Lee Konitz's "Movin," and it was $50!

You suck Jim! ;)

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    WhooHoo! Road Games is finally available on cd? That is great news. Now, I don't have to bother trying to transfer my vinyl to cd. Thanks for posting.

4. Sounds like some good stuff. My jazz collection needs some new stuff in it anyways....if only I had mas dinero. :(

Speaking of Miles, has anyone seen either of his DVDs that are out? I've seen a few that looked like they were from his '80s period and I was a little interested in them.

5. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    LOL! That's exactly how I feel! Ahhh, to be Bill Gates so I can buy my own jazz CD store...

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Wanna know what is great, jazzbo. "Die Walkure" by Wagner. Only $72. :D:D:D

If you have a turntable, you can get lps for dirt cheap. Just some advice. I like the sound of LP's better, too.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Excellent, I'll be buying Road Games! I need some more Holdsworth in the collection.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm becoming more and more interested in some jazz..I love the Piano/Bass/Drum combos...so much bass, and some of it so skillfull. I'm usually a little more bombastic in my music choices, but you know, I kinda dig some of the flashier jazz...You know, the boderline funk/rock/soul stuff...Jazz pretty cool I guess. Well, for sucky music.:eek:;):D

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bren-
    ...there's plenty of "bombastic" Jazz out there & with NO GUITAR! :D
    Another disc I just picked up this week is Charles Gayle's Touchin' On Trane(released in the early '90s). It's Gayle(sax), William Parker(bass), & Rashied Ali(drums)....furious, "bombastic" s***!
    ...and that's putting it mildly.
    More stuff in a similiar vibe includes late period Coltrane, Cecil Taylor, Matthew Shipp, Archie Shepp, Sam Rivers, Mingus, Don Pullen, Miles' 2nd *Great* 5-tet, etc. Really, too many, those are just a couple of the more well-known.

If ya want 'it' electric-
    Sonny Sharrock(Seize The Rainbow, Ask The Ages)
    Miles' electric bands(Panagea, Agartha, Star People. We Want Miles)
    Weather Report
    Tony Williams Lifetime
    Tribal Tech
    Gary Willis(Bent, No Sweat)
    etc.....

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Jim...I think I'll check that out...sounds good to me...

11. Slightly off topic, but while we're talking about newer jazz albums, has anyone checked out Pat Martino's "Live at Yoshi's"? It's an organ trio setting. Joey deFrancesco on Hammond B-3, and Billy Hart on drums. (Pat Martino on guitar of course.)

This album seriously cooks! I love good jazz guitar albums and this one is really up there. And Joey DeFrancesco plays fast walking basslines on the B-3 while he solos like nobody's business. Smoking versions of Oleo and All Blues.

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I just picked up what I have found to be a very enjoyable Miles Davis album for my taste..."Miles Davis...Love Songs" on Columbia.

It has that wonderful "Kind of Blue" vibe that I like. Paul Chambers does play bass in most of the songs and Ron Carter in the others. The songs are standards by the greats such as Johhny Mercer, Sammy Cahn, George Gershwin and Rogers and Hart. My favorite is "I Loves You Porgy", but I'm a Gershwin fan from way back.

Each song was originally released at different times, late fifties and early sixties. Whoever put together this compilation knows my taste. The music makes excellent quiet music for eating a candlelit dinner or curling up on a cozy sofa to read a great novel or just to have on while working on the computer.