1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New jazz tunes with 9 piece band

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by HaVIC5, Mar 11, 2009.

1. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Hey, I recently recorded a couple tunes with a 9-piece band that I play with, they're rough, but you get the idea. "Passacaglia" and "Hoi Polloi"

http://www.myspace.com/adamneely

2. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I like the hip, modern vibe you create on the funk sections of Hoi Polloi. Nice job writing/arranging. Bringing that back again in between the solo section and the group thing was a nice break from the swing, and the chaos build was a nice surprise leading back to the head.

Nice composition, Adam...how'd it sound in Finale? :p

Matt

3. One of the coolest passacaglias I´ve heard in a while:D
    Good work!

4. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I didn't think many people listened to passacaglias on a regular basis, haha. Thanks.

BTW, it wasn't Finale, I use Sibelius. There are only so many big band charts you can do with Finale before it finally pisses you off enough to switch to Sibelius. And I don't really rely too much on the playback. I'll actually disable playback until I'm done writing to make sure I really put a lot of thought into the voicings that I'm using. I'll play them all out on a piano, of course, though.