New Jersey Bassist Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by camello, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thehess

thehess

Jun 15, 2011
    2 sets canceled tonight - was supposed to play with two different groups at the Crossroads in Garwood. One already rescheduled for the 10th, the other pending. Just gave me more time to fix the cranky sump pump in the basement. Stay safe and dry tonight/tomorrow.

2. Ah good ol Crossroads. I'm originally from Cranford. Strangely enough, I've only played once at the Crossroads tho... Good luck w the sump pumps!

3. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Stay safe fellow NJ Bass Buds!

4. biobass

biobass

Sep 16, 2007
    Princeton NJ area
    It's begining to get pretty misearble out here in central Jersey. Please don't go out unless absolutely necessary. I'm on call tonight with my local ambulance squad, already been out on two calls since 6 PM. Really is a night for all to stay home. Be safe.

Cheers,
    Dennis

5. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Like I said, they way over hyped this. Not that we shouldn't have been prepared, but in my town the emergency services were telling everyone that the creek was going to rise 15 feet. The truth was that the creek will rise TO 15 feet. The creed was at 3.5 feet, and flood stage is 8 feet. Worst case, Cat 2 hurricane, that meant the creek would over flow its banks by up to 7 feet, NOT 15 feet.

I am watching the stream guages in the area (look 'em up in your area). The two for me are the North Branch of the Metedeconk river and the Manasquan River near Allenwood. The Manasquan is at 19.5 feet, and flood stage is 14.5, so five feet above flood stage. The Metedeconk is at 10.1 feet, and flood stage is 8 feet, so only two feet above flood stage.

So what does that mean? That the Beaver Dam Creek is somewhere from 2-5 feet above flood stage. That in turn means that the creek will have exceeded its normal high point by a couple of feet. Since both the rivers and the creek have gradual rising land around them and I have a thousand feet of swampy stuff behind me, the water just might make it to the back of my property, which is at least 3 feet above the swampy floor.

So, today I have waterfront property. Hope they don't reassess me today.

6. Not over hyped IMHO... just the storm didn't reach levels anywhere near where it easily could have.

:D I think the Tax assessor is making rounds at first light tomorrow... hopefully the water will find somewhere to go before hand ;)

I owned a house on the Metedeconk in Brick. It is also about 3 foot above the typical high water mark... but 120 feet away from the bank. I'm curious how it fared. In the 50+ years it was in the family it has always escaped the water.

7. I'm a firefighter here in town... Spent the night running calls. We dodged a bullet on this... Luckily, we had no one get hurt here.

8. DasClyde

DasClyde Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Safe From Irene Update

Lenny's Night Out - South Plainfield (electric, I think) - Wednesday
    Court Tavern - New Brunswick (electric, I think)
    The Robin's Nest in Linden.
    The Taproom in Westmont - Thursday, Electric
    Studio LuLoo in Oaklyn - Acoustic
    The Pike Tavern in Magnolia (Electric, all kinds of rock) - Thursdays 9pm-2am
    The Roadhouse in Barrington - Thursdays

NJ Open Mic.com: Listings of Open Mics, Acoustic Open Mikes and Blues Jams in New Jersey

9. DasClyde

DasClyde Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Also, curious on finding a band that needs a bassist and a drummer. Me and my drummer are also good friends and we get a lot of compliments on being a really tight rhythm section. Craigslist has almost nothing in the way of cover bands in central jersey (that fit our situation) and we really want to play covers. We are currently playing with a blues guy but I feel like he's got delusions of grandeur on where his originals are going. He is awesome and talented though.

10. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Finally-got-my-power-back-after-Irene-update ;)

dagavna569 # 164 & MadMark5 # 165 .... Welcome :cool: (btw, MadMark, what town are you in?)

Hope everyonje is in good shape ... we lost power about 11:45 pm on Sat night, just came back on about 10 minutes ago. Overall, no damage to our new home in Monroe or to the shore house in Point Pleasant. Surprisingly, Point barely had any issues with the storm, whereas Monroe has a ton of damage from trees and flooded substations. That was a weird storm ...

We were playing a private jazz trio gig on Saturday night in Colts Neck, finished at 11:00, drove home to Monroe and the minute I walked in the door the power went down .... sucks when you're in an all electric house! :help:

11. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Irene wasn't too bad by me (Essex County). I didn't loose power at all, which was very surprising. I DID get to bail out about 5 inches of water from basement though. That was a blast!

Important stuff is ok though... Me, my wife, and my musical equipment!

12. Im in Sewell

13. Ed Goode

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Thx .... :cool:

14. lareamond

lareamond

Nov 16, 2010
    I live in a basement, been bailing water since Saturday night. Just had to rip up my bedroom carpeting. My instruments are safe. Can't say the same for my practice amp and drum machine, as well as my book shelves (homemade, MDF board). Lost ~80% of my comic books. Had them in older cardboard comic boxes. The water never makes it to my bedroom closet so I figured they'd be OK. At least a vast majority of them were from the 90's and not worth anything. My Punisher ones were the ones I cared about the most, and those are A-OK! :D

Hope the rest of y'all didn't get too much damage.

15. Not much damage in our section of Cape May county, on the western side & a good mile or two from the bay. No flooding, a few tree branches down. Had sporadic short power outages, and lost Comcast (tv & wifi/Internet) from early Sunday morning until about 4pm. The gift shop I work at is in one of the Cape May marinas, and the bottom level flooded out with perhaps an inch above the floor of the upper level (which is about a foot and a half above the lower level.) Spent most of today finishing cleaning up the shop, clearing out stuff on upper floor that got wet, and getting everything that we had moved to the upper floor back where it belonged. Quiet day, only about 3 people came in the shop while I was there. The 10 am Dolphin Watch was cancelled due to not enough people wanting to go out, but the 1am trip went out. I don't know if the 6:30pm trip will go out or not, will depend on if they get enough people wanting to go out. I hear that some of the beach front hotels had some flooding damage and had a good bit of debris to pick up, but not much damage.

Other areas, like Wildwood and West Cape May, as well as some of the other barrier islands, had a lot more damage, both flooding and trees, etc. Blown down / around, breaking stuff and blocking roads. As far as I've heard so far no deaths this area.

In other words, we got lucky. Could have been a lot worse.

16. Ed Goode

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    I was thinking about you when they were announcing the evac's for your area .... glad to hear you made it through okay :cool:

17. I made out okay, but others in our town were not so lucky. In the low lying areas were flooded with a lot of homes with water damage as well as cars. Homes were reported to having as much as 4' ft of water! Stores in that area were also damaged by the water and at least 1000 residents are without power due to downed trees pulling down power lines and it is expected to be that way for at least 7 days. Many were moved to the High school as a temp. shelter. But with the school year beginning soon they either went back home or were moved to other shelters. Although the storm wasn't as bad as predicted many,many people are suffering if you are not, consider yourself one of the lucky ones. The after math is now hitting other areas where rivers are cresting their banks and roads and highways are underwater. March 13, 2009 Storm We had a tree fall on our house a very large 80'FT high by 4' Ft wide White maple it was 15 'Ft from my house so it fell a long way and did a lot of damage we are still under construction more than a year later major water damage foundation was cracked rafters broken and a major hole in the roof that went from the attic down into the kitchen and punch a hole in the kitchen floor so the rain just poured in and destroyed our family room and of course my music studio! ( which I have since replaced) We had to leave and my family was in a shelter for 4 days it was no picnic! Worse yet it was a big storm but not much damage other than a select few so no aide just on your own with getting your live back on track. Major lesson for my 3 kids who don't want for anything to have something like this show them how your entire life can be turn upside down in a second! So I feel for these people and what they are going through now. Oh yeah if you were to google my place the picture they have has the tarp on the roof see those other trees in the picture are long gone I had them all cut down.

18. Hey MadMark, I'm down the road in Mullica Hill. Let me know if you ever want to get together and jam on our Laklands :D

19. forgot to say - love and hope to those affected by the storm. It was scary for a lot of people, but harmless for most it seemed. Aside from two smallish trees coming down, nothing happened where I live really. But I know that I'm in the lucky majority. A lot of people got messed up - good luck to everyone.

20. thehess

thehess

Jun 15, 2011
    Glad you made it through. Our friends over near you on Clems Run Rd haven't had power since Sunday morning. We're still boiling our water, but at least we have water flowing; some folks in Essex county don't even have that. Even the Home Depot in Springfield got taken out; I think the roof got torn off. LOTs of trees down, many roads still blocked. And we're the lucky ones. Vermont, not so much. Those folks have it pretty bad.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.