New Jersey Bassist Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by camello, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah, VT got trashed. It's crazy.

A buddy of mine lives up in Manville and said half the town is destroyed :/ so I guess the southern NJ areas got spared a little more. My parents live up in Cranford, and 1/4 of the town was flooded too.

It's crazy that someone a few blocks away from me (I'm on Franklinville rd, a turn or two away from Clems Run) lost power but I didn't :confused: I guess I am lucky. Do your friends have city or well water? I have well water, and if the power goes out, no more running water.

2. One of these nights for sure, did you or are you playing the grape room soon?

3. nalapit13

nalapit13 official player and catcher of bass Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
    I work in manville. It's an island over here.

4. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    The house on the Metedeconk I am sure is fine.

As for the overhyping, the TV stations absolutely did. They were describing potential damage from Cat 3 and 4 more then what the original and predicted storm was supposed to be.

I did some checking, and so far, everything is actually not as bad as many of the news stories and cataclysmic discussion. Bound Brook and Manville are exactly where they should be with the amount of rain that came. I was surprised it took and extra 24 hours to get to this stage, but it was not unpredictable. Most of the areas that were mandatory evacuations would not have needed it even if it was a Cat 2. I would have pulled all the Raritan River dwellers and Bound Brook peeps way before us.

This storm hit exactly as the NOAA and other, non TV and media people said it would be, a Cat 1 to strong Tropical Storm with lots of rain. It wasn't less then predicted, it was less then the TV made it out to be.

For example, the Spring Lake boardwalk was "destroyed." Actually, few know that the Spring Lake boardwalk is modular, built elsewhere and then laid onto cement pylons. It is NOT attached anywhere, just weighted. When this storm hit it wasn't the waves that dislodged it, it was the sand underneath it that pushed it up. If you look at Belmar or Sea Girt, the two towns attached to Spring Lake, their boardwalks were fine because they are built differently.

You won't see pics of any other boardwalk on the news. Why? Because nothing happened to them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy my place did not get hit like some others. But the news did make this out from day one to be more then even the actual experts said it would be.

Either way, I'm on my way to the shore, as the Governor told me, to go have a bite and some booze...

5. The over hype bothers me mostly because if or when we actually have a truly dangerous hurricane or other type of storm head this way, people who were here for this one may discount the warnings. Cry wolf too often....

6. nalapit13

nalapit13 official player and catcher of bass Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
    There was underhype in the bound brook, manville, middlesex area. The only reason bound brook flooded is because the new levees broke. These levees pushed the water into manville and middlesex. My in laws live on the other side of middlesex from me and had 4 feet in there basement. The most they have ever had before this in 25 years living there was 1 inch. So while the state decided to save bound brook all it did was bury manville and middlesex that much more.

7. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    I agree with all of the above. Yes, it was a bad storm with a bunch of water & wind damage, and a great number of people have suffered significant losses .... my heart goes out to all that have been impacted .... but it wasn't Katrina. To shut down the southbound GSP below X98 on Friday night was just crazy (and that's only one example of the massive over-reaction) :rolleyes:

Those who have been impacted do not want to hear that it was an over-reaction, however, and I think we need to be careful when dismissing this as just another bad storm. In my circle of family and friends there several families that have suffered massive losses from the flooding .... one of my brothers has basically lost his home when the Passaic crested at 24' and he had the water rise to consume his basement and 7' of the first floor. I don't think I can say to him that the storm was "over-hyped".

The media absolutely sensationalizes these types of things and yes, they were over the top on this one. And I agree that crying wolf only leads to problems later on down the road. I certainly don't have any good answers as to how to handle advance warnings, but creating mass hysteria can't be the answer ....

For all of us who have gigs booked this weekend, best hopes that your venues are still functioning. Get out there and kick some booty, people will be looking to be entertained and get away from the storm talk .... :cool:

8. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    While I live in Manville, I was lucky this time through. Never lost power/water or got flooded. But a lot of my friends and family are going through a rough time.

But I will say I am glad the state took this serious. Think of it as practice for when the stuff really hits the fan. Now we have data on response/evacuation times. Look at how many fatalities this storm caused. And people are talking like we got a little rain. Was it Katrina, definitely not. But it caused plenty of damage and chaos. People still do not have power or running water. That's serious IMO.

9. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I agree with this. In the end, the storm ended up being over-hyped, but I would always rather be safe than sorry. I agree with all the precautions that were taken. Basically, they didn't want anyone out of their homes because it was safer that way.

I think because it was presented as being such a huge storm that we overlook the damage it actually did cause. Up here in Essex and Morris county there are sections of towns that are now lakes. There are sections of highways that were destroyed. It might not have been as bad as predicted, but it certainly was no walk in the park at all. I feel very lucky that I didn't lose power and only had to deal with basement water.

10. True... I guess years of listening to NJ 101.5 have taught me to take the media with a grain of salt and to limit my exposure to short listening sessions.

My sister-in-law is still without power but they are hoping it'll be on today (she's 7 months pregnant and staying with my in-laws until it's back on) and a bassist friend that isn't on TB has been told he *should* have power back by the 3rd.

11. We just played there on the 20th, next time is Oct 7. Love the people who work there - Teddy is an awesome sound guy and Scooter and Anthony do a great job booking gigs.

The show on the 10/7 should be awesome, we're playing w Beatallica... apparently they cover Beatles tunes in the style of Metallica. Psyched to hear that craziness...

Did you ever go over to the old Grape St (corner of main and Shurs ln) before it shut down a few years ago? That place was the best med size venue in Philly bar-none. My old band Stillicide had a weekly residency there for a while (Troy/Voiceless knows what I'm talking about). Miss that place...

12. That's awful man. Sorry to hear.

13. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    Beatalica!! That's cool, let us know how they are. Yes the Grape St we played with the mighty Stillicide was a great venue. I think that was the 2nd or 3rd location/relocation.

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Goodnight Irene, I'll see you in my dreams.

15. thehess

thehess

Jun 15, 2011
    Since you used to live in Cranford, you might have seen this. 1/5 of the houses in the town, and a bunch of businesses, flooded. Water hit 500 year flood levels.

16. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    I rode my bike through Cranford yesterday on my usual training ride route to get over Watchung into Somerset County. I couldn't believe how many homes had water-damaged items out on the curbs. In & around Springfield Ave. & the College, it was almost every home! Furniture, rugs/carpets, etc. Sad sight.

A section of Valley Rd. in Stirling was still flooded too much for cars to pass.

Directly across the street from us in Roselle Park, our neighbors spent Sunday afternoon loading up their curb with the same kind of stuff. Our house had a steady trickle of water in the basement ... enough to damage the hardwood flooring, but nothing of much major consequence. I consider us lucky.

17. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    I will be playing at club Aqua @ Convention Hall in Asbury Park this Friday night. They say they are ready for bands. Hopefully we get the turn out expected on a holiday weekend. Hope everyone's gigs were not canceled this weekend.

Not sure if Rhythms in Manville is re opening. Which would suck because its one of the only big venues left in my area.

18. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I don't know if anyone here remembers the Dirt Club in Bloomfield, NJ?

John Schroeder, AKA Johnny Dirt, passed away at age 66 in North Carolina.

Johnny Dirt, beloved Bloomfield clubowner, dead at 66 | NJ.com

Dirt_Club.jpg

johnny_dirt.jpg

My previous band, The Jetsonz was the first band to play there.

[​IMG]

My last time playing there, circa 1990.

[​IMG]

19. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Most of the guys here are way too young to remember The Dirt .... never played there myself (I was a strict jazzer during the Dirt's rise & fall) but I was a Nutley guy and had occassion to visit the hallowed halls .... :cool:

RIP, Johnny :atoz:

20. Ive known anthony for years, hes one of the good people out there, trying to help the scene. Had the pleasure of playing both grape's. When they were in the bigger venue Barb was as good as they come on sound, i looked forward to playing, my sound was always amazing and it is on the top of my list of fav venues. Its nice there is still a place with real people who are legit.
    You'll love betallica, ill try to get out if im off that night. Not sure what my teaching schedule is gonna look like. You stop up at the store to shoot the breeze sometime

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.