New Jersey Bassist Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by camello, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yeah, I figured that. But incase some of us old farts are hang in out in here....

I actually saw John last year when he came up to see a band I was playing in (Bad Kitty) that had four members from four different bands that played the dirt; The Jetsonz, No More Tears (who are still playing around), Fatal Dose and The Touchables.

You know I was playing prog rock and fusion in the 70s and then switched to playing new wave. :D

2. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    Can anyone suggest an instructor in Central Jersey for private bass guitar lessons? I live in Union County, so I'm figuring somewhere between Essex down to Monmouth counties would be a manageable commute. I'd even consider someone in NYC.

I'd been taking lessons already for almost a year, but want something more than, "so, what have you been working on this week?". IOW, more direction & structure, less winging it. At 52, I'm not young, but am eager to learn as much as I can. I took August off from lessons since I've had a bunch of cover songs to learn for this band I recently joined. The guitarist also just asked me to play bass for this benefit show he's putting on next month, so I guess I'll have even more songs to learn. But I want to get back into lessons, too.

3. Will do Troy, I'm looking forward to seeing them. Should be an awesome hilarious show between them and us. And this is the 3rd grape st/room/whatever, although it's only relocated once down the st and back again.

My parents still live in Cranford, so I've heard about the horror. Gotta love when your hometown makes the news like that :meh: My parents' place took on some water in the newly refinished (ouch) basement but not too bad. My mom did get bonked on the head by a fallen branch but w no damages fortunately. Irene was some craziness.

4. Barb was/is the shizz! She doesn't work there any more, but teaches audio engineering now. Teddy, the current sound guy was her protege back in the day. He started w the Grape 5 years ago when he was 16! He does a great job and is a hell of a nice kid too.

I hope you can make it out when Beatalica is around - I'm pumped for that night.

BTW, where/what is this store you speak of? :p

5. DasClyde

DasClyde Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    I have a guy who travels and charges $35/hr. He's a great teacher and a nice guy but he's mostly a theory teacher. He knows all of his instruments and has been teaching me scales (pentatonic, major, on minor now) and chords and tetra chords. I have learned a lot in a last few lessons and I think he's great. The only thing though is that he's not going to be coming at this specifically as a bassist, he's a theory teacher. He does play bass and teach with a bass at my lessons though. Shoot me a PM if this sounds like something you' be interested in.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Our double header (6-9 outside in Belmar then 10-2 at a bar in Bradley Beach) is still on. Hopefully the usual Labor Day crowds will be down this weekend.

7. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    HA!! howdy gig neighbor :)

I heard they were calling for rain tonight. BOO!!! we play outside.

Have a great night!!

8. For all of you who have been around as long as I have playing in NJ you should know this guy! RIP Johnny D thanks for making NJ a place to rock!

Johnny Dirt, beloved Bloomfield clubowner, dead at 66 | NJ.com

Sorry SGD I did not see you post till now Yeah we played there when I was in my Org. band days great place for your own music to get out to the masses

9. mottshoople

mottshoople

Feb 1, 2010
    I don't get down the shore very often, and I'm not playing, but I'll be heading down to the Brighton Bar next Saturday (Sept 10th) with some friends that are coming in from the UK and playing there. I don't think I've been there in over 20years. Should be a fun night out.

Mark

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

Howdy back, where you at?

Weather was perfect last night, both gigs went off without a hitch...but I'm tired today.

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Wow, the Brighton Bar (and the Laugh Inn) brings back memories and some nights I can't quite remember. I worked with a band that gigged the Brighton regularly back in the early 80's. In fact my bachelor party started there back in 1983.

I used to live on Second Ave. Right across from what was then the 95 West bar.

12. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Glad to see another Dirt alumni! What band were you in? I was in the Jetsonz from about '79 to '84, and then we changed our name to Expresso Tango. I think by that time we were playing a lot of other clubs as the Dirt started getting a lot of metal bands in. The last band in was in that played at the Dirt was called Blue.

I was living in Orange at the time, so the Dirt was almost walking distance from me. I practically lived there. :D

Ah, those were the days.

13. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Okay Voiceless and Mongo, was in AP last nite and heard a band at Aqua. Playin' the Cars no less. Was that either of you guys?

Also, what is on your schedules for tonight?

14. LONG way to travel to play the Brighton!!!! I might see if I can make it out.

15. good to know a graduate from the Barb school of sound is working the board at the grape. I hope to play there in the next 6 months with my new original band. as long as the songs keep coming....

check your pm's

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Not I.

We have the rest of the holiday weekend off.

17. 5Bass5

5Bass5

Apr 13, 2011
    NJ
    Can you still join? If so, count me in.

18. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    As long as Talkbass and Jersey exist, you can join :D

5bass5 #166 ... Welcome :cool:

What town are you in?

19. 5Bass5

5Bass5

Apr 13, 2011
    NJ
    I'm in West Windsor.

20. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    By the way, there is a Dirt Club tribute being planned. It looks like it's going to be at the Hat City Kitchen in Orange, which is where Johnny wanted to do the 30th Anniversary Dirt reunion. No date set, but probably in November/December.

My old band the Jetsonz were asked to play, so me and Deb the singer are going to assemble a new band for the occasion.

There should be other alumni playing as well, such as the Catholic Girls and others.

Shoot be a hoot! :bassist:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.