New Jethro Tull live CD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Rob W, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Has anyone else heard the new Jethro Tull live album (released just today, April 30)?

Strangely, Tull hasn't released a lot of live albums over the years - only 2 other official live albums in the previous 34 years! I think that's a bit strange for them since they seem to be one band that is constantly reworking their live arrangements and digging out long forgotten songs. You'd think they'd have released more live works.

Anyway, I think it's a great sounding disc. There are some fine performances all around and our 'new boy', Jon Noyce sounds much more pleasing IMO now that he's playing a classic P-bass rather than the former Jazz V (no offense to present Jazz V players).

There's even some guest appearances by Dave Pegg (old tapes that were lying around) and some great playing by original Tull bassist, Glenn Cornick taken from a reuinion appearance of the original Tull lineup. Glenn sounds great.

I suppose my main complaint is that the tapes are from varied sources, so the continuity of the album is a little odd - there's no true full live show vibe. Perhaps that will be rectified on the forthcoming DVD. I also would have been quite happy to have had some other tracks instead yet another version of Aqualung, Living in the Past and Locomotive Breath.

It was nice to hear a brief reappearance of live string players on two tracks. That's probably what I miss most in more recent Tull. I loved David Palmer's string arrangements from evrything up to 1979.

In any case, as with everything Ian puts out, it's very high quality as far as I'm concerned.
  2. Oh man.....I hadn't heard a new Tull CD was due out! So....what's on it, since they didn't include the usual Aqualung stuff? Going to see them Friday BTW! Can't wait!

3. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Man oh Man! I got to get that disc!
    I just seen them at the Melody Tent (Revolving Stage) on CapeCod this past summer and I thought it was up with my all time top three shows I ever seen. They were incredible.
    Infact that's what inspired me to find myself a Pbass this year.
    Hey good title for a thread!
  4. The track list is as follows:

My Sunday Feeling
    Roots to Branches
    Jack in the Green
    The Habanero Reel
    Sweet Dream
    In the Grip of Stronger Stuff
    Locomotive Breath
    Living in the Past
    Protect and Survive
    Nothing is Easy
    Wond'ring Aloud
    Life is a Long Song
    A Christmas Song
    Cheap Day Return
    Mother Goose
    Dot Com
    Fat Man
    Some Day the Sun Won't Shine for You

It looks like the DVD (due out in a few weeks) will contain quite a number of alternate tracks so the material won't be directly duplicated from the CD.

They really are a superb live band (and in the studio). They always seem to have the best sound and mix of any band I hear live, and their musicianship is top notch of course.

The CD liner notes also suggest that in the future Ian may dust off a lot more of his archival tapes and offer them for sale over the internet. There could be lots more rare Tull recordings made available soon. That's very cool news.

Anyway, the CD is a great one. Cheers.
  5. Hey Rob,

Thanks for posting that list! Tull is my all time favorite band! In fact, I'll be seeing them Friday night at Music Midtown in Atlanta, and my next bass song is Bouree.