Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Job, New Band, New Recording... w00t!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by James Hart, Feb 16, 2004.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey all y'all! it's been a killer month so far, I think my karma points are leveling and I'm back on an upswing!

1.) I was contacted mid Jan by a major competitor of most of my employers of the last 6 years. The came to me with a job offer :cool: I'm still not back to pre 9/11 salary... but I'm back in the game and close!

2.) I got blown off via email about a year ago by a singer/songwriter and I'd continue to be slightly hurt at all the new ads of his I'd read. Well I posted my own "Band Wanted" in which he replied. I said that if he wanted to jam I was cool with it, but after the blow off last year, he may want to recheck his notes! Turns out he hit some hard times the month we spoke and 'forgot' as we only emailed 2 or 3 times.....

Well, we hooked up and he is by far the strongest "frontman" I've jammed with. He flipped over my playing as he'd never meet a bassist that could actually play :smug:

3.) We got some stuff on the computer at our first jam (about an hour of playing). Forgive the iffy out of tune fretless line in the first tune. It's just a 'winging it' line. (all live, just the 2 of us)

Kin by Victor Lau (Vox&Acoustic) with James (me :) ) on bass

Let me know what all y'all think! :bag: I think I might have found "the" front guy finally!

2. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Sounds good... sounds great actually! I like your bass alot :)
    Good mix, catchy tune :cool:

Congrats on the job too, rock n roll :bassist:

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Thanks Boozy! I think the guy's a pretty good writer. This is actually my least favorite of the tunes I've heard... but the one we spent the most time with. I've got to write a couple lines and then we'll get together again the end of the week.

BTW: he's got a pretty bad head cold... so I'm excited to hear him in top shape.

4. Congrats, Sped!!! :hyper:

Enjoy the new job and new musical venture. :cool:

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Thanks and Will Do!

6. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I really enjoyed the song, the lyrics werent really my style, but I didn't write them. The man has a good voice. MORE BASS!

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Thanks Stephen! I'm still digging through his "Topics" I played for one songwriter that was obsessed with a married chick... Every tune was about her :meh: I think this guy is a little broader and deeper then that. If nothing else he holds an English degree from Rutgers Univ. (he was an RU quarterback during his college career to).

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Killer sounding clip

Look forward to more songs and with that new Benavente fless 51 6 string!!!! :bag:

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    it'll be nice to but the Hamer away! Here is the second clip from Sunday night. I took the live recording of Vic with his acoustic and imported it to cakewalk and recorded Benavente->Ashdown, line out->soundcard (it works till you send me a U5 ;) ).

Fear --6.0MB

the line is still rough... but it's the idea I'm working.