New Joey Arkenstat Album!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sean_seanson, Aug 18, 2004.

1. sean_seanson

Jul 14, 2004
    Yeah, seriously, I was as surprised/confused to see this as I'm sure you are. On August 24 Ropeadope Records will be releasing Bane by Joey Arkenstat, produced by Mike Gordon. You can listen to samples here. I figured since he'd been discussed a fair bit here and I know a lot of you have seen Rising Low a lot of people would be interested in this.
    I'm assuming that this is Mike Gordon playing bass, but I've never heard his playing so I was wondering if anybody could tell from the samples if that is the case.
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    It probably is, however, he uses the "Joey Arkenstat" style of checkerboard moves, so it doesnt really sound like Mike's normal playing at all. In fact it doesnt sound like he's using a pick either, which he normally does, so I really dont know hehe.
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm really digging what I'm hearing from the samples. Sometimes it sounds like Mike Gordon's style to me (he CAN play with his fingers if he wants to) but some of it does not. This is wild that he's carrying this thing into an album and all.

brad cook
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Aye I liked the samples too, I went ahead and ordered the album, and will download it when its released on the 24th I suppose hehe.
  5. "The history of Bane is rich. It is colorful. It is not lame." :meh:

"The idea of Bane originally stemmed from recordings Joey had created of old car horns and the wing patterns of various butterflies and insects. The album was to be simple. " :eyebrow:

i'm glad to see joey back in the studio ;)
  6. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    It's gotta be Mike... good to see those guys one last time this past weekend, even if it was an all-around mess... I'm sure he's gonna bust out and just play as differently from Phish as possible. I'm looking forward to it. I've seen him play with a lot of groups and there are a lot of things he's capable of.
  7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    That's just the sound of 17-bit audio.

The album is crazy; it's a million notes, but it boils down to one thing: copper.
  8. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Just got the album downloaded. I actually really like it. Its a little out there, but good grooves and stuff. Reminds me of MMW a bit. Be good driving or background music hehe.

Oh and apprently this is true: "what other album repeats the line "he lives in the region" over 1,200 times?" LOL
  9. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I just wasted several minutes of my life listening to the "music" samples. It's total crap. How does Adrian Garcia's sig go? "Sure it was out of tune, but at least the groove still sucked".

10. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Kinda funny too, the drummer credited is the producer of Rising Low, and the Keyboard player is a sound engineer for Mike Gordon hehe.